group II+ next on the marketers list to be labelled as synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the publisher's letter section in Lubes & Greases, Sept. 2004; this just goes to show how when you allow a mouse a piece of cheese, he comes back for a cookie
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

T. Glenn has been writing about our industry's use of the term "synthetic" and the sharp disagreements over what it means. Last month he cautioned that, lacking an accepted industry definition, some Group II and even Group I base stocks may soon be brought into the "synthetic" fold. This month, he opens another can of worms with a look at how much synthetic is in a bottle of "synthetic blend" motor oil (more about this in BITOG Interesting Articles- http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000374)
It seems some marketers are even arguing, with a straight face, that any motor oil that contains additives constitutes a synthetic blend.

Lubes & Greases, Sept. 2004, Vol. 10 Issue 9, page 4

In an article titled ConocoPhillips Gambles on Synthetic Blends, same issue, it's stated:
quote:

Group III base oils are commonly marketed as synthetic, and some have suggested that Group II-plus base oils may be similarly labeled. There currently are no industry definitions of "synthetic" or "synthetic blends".

Lubes & Greases, Sept. 2004, Vol. 10 Issue 9, page 21

Again, in that same issue, a Letter written to the editor:

quote:

Regarding T. Glenn's excellent column in your July issue ("The Synthetic Definition of Synthetics," page 40):

My Webster's dictionary is very clear on the definition of the word synthetic. It says, "produced by synthesis; specifically, produced by chemical synthesis, rather than of natural origin."

It then goes on to define synthesis as "the formation of a complex compound by the combining of two or more simpler compounds, elements, or radicals."

It further defines synthesis as "to produce by synthesis rather than by extraction, refinement, etc." This is very much in agreement with the old SAE definition, and it clearly excludes highly refined mineral oils such as Group IIIs.

A synthetic material is quite simply one produced by synthesis, and synthesis is a process, not a performance level. Producers of true synthetics have invested in the word synthetic for over 50 years, and to see its meaning diluted for profit is disheartening.

Vinyl upholstery can be made to look and feel like leather, but it isn't leather, and the consumer has a right to know that- especially if they are paying leather prices.

Group IIIs are excellent products and can offer real value in many application, but the word synthetic is already taken. I'm sure their marketing folks can find a new word to invest in without hijacking ours. -T. Schaefer, Hatco Corp. Fords, N.J.

Lubes & Greases, Sept. 2004, Vol. 10 Issue 9, page 46

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:

Group IIIs are excellent products and can offer real value in many application, but the word synthetic is already taken. I'm sure their marketing folks can find a new word to invest in without hijacking ours. -T. Schaefer, Hatco Corp. Fords, N.J.

[/QUOTE]

worshippy.gif
Hatco
worshippy.gif
Hatco

I agree with Tom wholeheartedly and this is what I too have been echoing for the last 10 years.

Sell your soul to the devil (chaos) and you will have the Devil to pay!

Anything for a buck.
mad.gif

I also agree completely. The English language gives two separate and distinct words for synthesize and isomerize because they are two separate and distinct processes. If you bend the definition of "synthesize" to include isomerization, then the definition of synthetic becomes meaningless. Group II basestocks are synthetic, by the "Castrol" definition, and so are Group I basestocks that are catalytically dewaxed.

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
[QB]
Group III base oils are commonly marketed as synthetic, and some have suggested that Group II-plus base oils may be similarly labeled.

Suggested ? ,,, or have they actually used such marketing in the last 8 months or so of one particular OTC 30wt ?

Quote:
" It seems some marketers are even arguing, with a straight face, that any motor oil that contains additives constitutes a synthetic blend. "

Thats nuts .

I hope something gets done to stop some of this before they get a toehold like group III did .

Even labeling is nuts . One oil even says it meets all ACEA "A's " on the label . C'Mon
thumbsdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back