Grossly overloaded Dodge 3500 w/truck camper - frame visibly flexing

A couple months ago we had this thread that talked about a broken frame on a Dodge 3500:

Today I saw this truck in Alamogordo, NM. The gap at the top between the cab and the bed was at least 1.5" wider than the gap at the bottom. Unfortunately, the jack was lined up with the gap when I took the picture. You can still clearly see the frame is flexing. How anyone could stand there and look at this and think it's "OK" to get on the road is beyond me.

View attachment 141041
I would get the license plate number and report him to law enforcement ASAP. Obvious danger to themselves and everyone around them on the road.

Future Darwin award recipient

I avoid equivalent numbskulls everyday on the highway, usually in their smallest weiner lifted monster truck towing something too heavy and driving like they're in a Ferrari. I've also seen plenty wrecked on the side of the road too.

This picture came from the New Horizons website. I know a bit about their trailers, as I own one and just happened to have pulled ours most of the day today.

The picture shows a Majestic that is probably > 39' long. They are heavy, I'll bet the empty weight of this one is > 21,500 lbs empty with an empty pin weight of > 4,500 lbs. Loaded, who knows, but they don't get lighter as you load more stuff into them. I find it highly likely that the truck shown hitched to the trailer is overloaded when all the stuff is loaded into the truck and trailer for a trip. Most people pull a heavy majestic with a 5500, Freightliner M2, or even a class 8 truck.

This picture came from the New Horizons website. I know a bit about their trailers, as I own one and just happened to have pulled ours most of the day today.

The picture shows a Majestic that is probably > 39' long. They are heavy, I'll bet the empty weight of this one is > 21,500 lbs empty with an empty pin weight of > 4,500 lbs. Loaded, who knows, but they don't get lighter as you load more stuff into them. I find it highly likely that the truck shown hitched to the trailer is overloaded when all the stuff is loaded into the truck and trailer for a trip. Most people pull a heavy majestic with a 5500, Freightliner M2, or even a class 8 truck.
They have all those tow rigs here - not just heavy hauling for work - but plenty play (RV & offshore boats) … but as 350/3500 goes - the Ram 3500 is a beast …
You drive long haul - crazy amount of inertia, wind loads, climbs etc …
On the flip side - folks here drive them 1-1/2 hours to the coast because they don’t want anything in storm surge zones …
(“Docking station” on the water) …
The 3500 is more practical as a DD …

A9D7CDAA-402B-4AB5-9099-1A485046EBF8.jpg

Would be a better setup to have the truck camper mounted on the front of a goose neck trailer and then the jeep parked behind it.

I am guessing damage might be from prior overload not that camper and trailer. If a dual wheel vehicle cannot handle that something is really wrong.

I am guessing damage might be from prior overload not that camper and trailer. If a dual wheel vehicle cannot handle that something is really wrong.
I think it is from that setup. A lot of weight is behind the axle, making the bed a lever, pushing up on the center of the truck. The crazy extended hitch is also a long lever.

Dual rear wheel 3500s have limits that are clearly stated by the manufacturer. The payload is likely way over the limit and the manufacturer did not design the truck to haul a load with the center of gravity way behind the back axle. Further, the extended hitch has a moment that puts an incredible amount of force down on the back of the truck, which transfers weight from the front of the truck. The truck is essentially pulling a wheelie as it drives down the road, the frame was not designed for this. How much is the truck over the rear axle rating? 3 or 4 thousand pounds? I'll bet it is.

This load is causing damage, regardless of any previous damage.

I would get the license plate number and report him to law enforcement ASAP. Obvious danger to themselves and everyone around them on the road.

You would be better off calling the DOT enforcement division. Local law enforcement #1 isn't going to bother with the call and #2 even if they did go out there and look at it, most county/city officers wouldn't know what they are looking at and whether it was 'unsafe'.

Even then, if its not a commercial vehicle, most agencies won't mess with it unless they're doing something obviously dangerous while driving.

If he's going down the road straight and true, even if the frame is bowed in the middle, he probably won't get a second glance.

Being a recreational vehicle, it's exempt from DOT truck rules. The state police would enforce weight limits and general safety.

Being a recreational vehicle, it's exempt from DOT truck rules.

The DOT can and will enforce rules on any vehicle on the road and oh trust me, they would throw the book at this guy if they saw him.

FYI I just looked up payload on a 2021 crew cab Cummins DWR Laramie and it's 5840# or 5600# depending on which transmission it has. So the loaded camper is right at or very near payload with the center of gravity way too far back then add the tongue weight and leverage.

It's perfectly fine until it isn't.

GM says my exact truck has a payload of 4074, the dually version is 5761.
There is no (insert expletive here) way I am putting that much in my truck.
4 people 600ish lbs. plus about 275 lbs. in gas, not to include the other stuff not taken into account
when dry (fluids, battery, etc). A true estimate would be you can add about 3000 lbs. to the bed.

One time for 4 miles one way I had two pallets of Cottage stones (retaining wall blocks) in the back of the truck. Each Pallet was 2190.
It did fine but that was the first and only time that truck squatted. No way I would do that again. I found
out after the fact that the pallets weigh more than 1800lbs a piece like I was told. Should have done my own math/research.

The stones were also not top heavy like a slide in camper. I know why people do it, but that is a ton of weight on the frame, axle, and tires.

Reactions: GON
A couple months ago we had this thread that talked about a broken frame on a Dodge 3500:

Today I saw this truck in Alamogordo, NM. The gap at the top between the cab and the bed was at least 1.5" wider than the gap at the bottom. Unfortunately, the jack was lined up with the gap when I took the picture. You can still clearly see the frame is flexing. How anyone could stand there and look at this and think it's "OK" to get on the road is beyond me.

View attachment 141041

View attachment 141041
bet you can turn that steering wheel with one finger. Power steering pump should last forever.

Back