Grossly overloaded Dodge 3500 w/truck camper - frame visibly flexing

Looked up the specs on that slide-in. The current model of it is a Lance 1172, and the dry weight, before you add anything in it, is 4318#.

That's a lot of weight in that truck bed, before you add on what is probably at least 5-1000# of tongue weight.

I wish we had a good picture of the hitch setup. I'll bet that is a butt-clenching contraption on top of everything else.

--Edit--

Silly me, someone makes a hitch for that kind of setup:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
Looked up the specs on that slide-in. The current model of it is a Lance 1172, and the dry weight, before you add anything in it, is 4318#.

That's a lot of weight in that truck bed, before you add on what is probably at least 5-1000# of tongue weight.

I wish we had a good picture of the hitch setup. I'll bet that is a butt-clenching contraption on top of everything else.
4300 pounds is a lot of weight. And that weight is not low gravity weight. A base Mercedes s class is about that weight. Imagine having a s class in the bed of a pickup.

Wow...

It took me a while to better understand the extended trailer hitch. Only after I took that second look, did I get a better visual of how far the slide in actually extends from the end of the truck bed. I did some very amateur line drawings to better see how bad this configuration really is.

View attachment 141055
The cubbyhole, inside of the red rectangle, holds the generator.

So I have a "Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher" 23' class C RV.

The 1-ton Econoline frame makes it to the rear axle. It's a nice frame, but it ends 6-7 feet forward of the rear bumper.

The coach builder got some 2x4-inch (?) angle iron and built the deck "way out" under the bed & bath section, and hung the water tanks there too. It was hard finding a tow spec for the receiver hitch but I think it's 5k.

No way, uh-uh... and this is something integrated by one party!

The armchair physicist in me wants to see this mess rolling down the road, and flexing, to continue my judgement. From a safe distance.

4wd,

I don't think he should be towing anything behind that extended slide in camper.

If he must keep that configuration and must tow a vehicle, needs to sell the jeep and buy a smart car or similar, tow behind, dolly, or aluminum trailer.

But I sense he purchased on wants, not on needs. That is his choice, but I suspect his choice is a safety to risk to him and others.
There is no vertical load in the methods I posted - flat tow = 4 down
Whereas loads in tensile and compression are easier to manage …
If you look where that Jeep sits on the trailer - he has a very heavy tongue load on a fulcrum of great length …
Those are very capable trucks if used correctly
0574F2D2-D856-4C8B-8725-E2048235113F.jpeg
B8C0CBA8-FDA5-4BBC-8D4C-54F525BA76C2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is Maurices?
That's an optical illusion; although it appears to be part of the building in the background, it's actually a large concrete slab of the same colour, loaded on top of the Jeep to increase the tongue weight to the desired 75%. (Just kidding ...)

If he has money for that setup, he has money to fix it when it breaks.
If he doesn’t, let the laughter begin…

Back