Grocery Shopping Yesterday

We went through this in the "70's. Anyone remember Mary Tylor Moore tossing an item into her grocery cart during the intro of the show?

I was working at a deli counter in '73 when a porcine woman asked us young and virile countermen what we thought about prices.

I offered to look through her cart and informed her that she selected only fluffy, air filled, processed garbage....no real food.

Fast forward decades: I do all the cooking and the price hikes / gouging isn't nearly as high for real foods. It's the "products" you must watch.

Take notice of how many sodas and waters there are as well as chips and snacks....and sugar cereals....and flavored coffee creamers...

Hey, Starbucks is closing a slew of stores all over. Maybe thermos bottles will make a comeback.

I agree with everything said but in general I see the majority of shopping carts packed with processed garbage a hula hoop of soda around the edge of cart being pushed by someone that couldn’t hardly walk alone without it holding them up. Just giving my grocery store observation.
Yes, I’ve seen the soda hanging over the edge thing.

My recent price observations.

Here in the heartland Gas has gone done to $3.499
My last trip to the grocery store yielded $1.99 lb 85% ground beef. Limit two pounds, store ground not tubes, but they are trying.
8 oz PRIME sirloin center cuts, were 2 for $11.99 Choice 8 0z were 2 for $8.99
1/2 gallon of milk at WM was $2.09
Bays English muffins went up 24¢ to $3.00
Smucker Strawberry preserves gave back 50% of a recent price increase
Grocery stores here are running great specials every Wednesday on meat, beef included.
The numerous pastures NE of my home on the Eastern edge of the Metro, are just packed with cattle ready for slaughter in a month or so. The pasture grasses are starting to grow and all the cows heads are down grazing.
Our electric just went down 1.2¢ kwh, their solar farms in the area are paying benefits according to the Elec CO
The price of a collector watch I wanted for a year or so went down 33% . I bought it
Last two pounds of bacon I purchased were under $4 a pound
Bought good quality eggs for 88¢ a dozen.
Amazon was six + bucks cheaper than Lowe's on Scott's Weed and Feed and cheaper than last year.
Was just in N Arkansas and they are harvesting pines like crazy. Tons of long load log trucks on all three of the major roads in N.W AR. Maybe lumber may ease a bit. Not that I buy any.

Around here people are starting to do without. I see it more everyday.

Last edited:
Not trying to just put on rose colored glasses but in line with what a few others have said, many fresh staples here are in the same ballpark as they have been for years, or the inflation is not nearly as bad as on processed food.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts still goes on sale for $2/pound, $1.69/lb occasionally. Fruit and vegetables that are in season are still on reasonable sales compared to what they have been for years ($.99 for red peppers, broccolli at $.99/lb occasionally, etc.). One thing that has really stood out here, even as there have been shortages on other items, is there's been a steady supply of produce on the shelves.

Obviously a lot of stuff is regional too. I've seen milk mentioned in a couple of other posts, I don't think we've seen under $2.50/gallon here in 10 or 15 years.

We went through this in the "70's. Anyone remember Mary Tylor Moore tossing an item into her grocery cart during the intro of the show?

I was working at a deli counter in '73 when a porcine woman asked us young and virile countermen what we thought about prices.

I offered to look through her cart and informed her that she selected only fluffy, air filled, processed garbage....no real food.

Fast forward decades: I do all the cooking and the price hikes / gouging isn't nearly as high for real foods. It's the "products" you must watch.

Take notice of how many sodas and waters there are as well as chips and snacks....and sugar cereals....and flavored coffee creamers...

Hey, Starbucks is closing a slew of stores all over. Maybe thermos bottles will make a comeback.
Yeah we lived it...
Nothing new

My recent price observations.

Here in the heartland Gas has gone done to $3.499
My last trip to the grocery store yielded $1.99 lb 85% ground beef. Limit two pounds, but they are trying.
8 oz PRIME sirloin center cuts, were 2 for $11.99 Choice 8 0z were 2 for $8.99
1/2 gallon of milk at WM was $2.09
Bays English muffins went up 24¢ to $3.00
Smucker Strawberry preserves gave back 50% of a recent price increase
Grocery stores here are running great specials every Wednesday on meat, beef included.
The numerous pastures NE of my home on the Eastern edge of the Metro, are just packed with cattle ready for slaughter in a month or so. The pasture grasses are starting to grow and all the cows heads are down grazing.
Our electric just went down 1.2¢ kwh, their solar farms in the area are paying benefits according to the Elec CO
The price of a collector watch I wanted for a year or so went down 33% . I bought it
Last two pounds of bacon I purchased were under $4 a pound
Bought good quality eggs for 88¢ a dozen.
Amazon was six + bucks cheaper than Lowe's on Scoots Weed and Feed and cheaper than last year.
Was just in N Arkansas and they are harvesting pines like crazy. Tons of long load log trucks on all three of the major roads in N.W AR. Maybe lumber may ease a bit. Not that I buy any.

Around here people are starting to do without. I see it more everyday.
When we get times like these I like to do without too. I don't want to support the forces to be.

I have put off many things the last two years...i think we all should.

Car dealers are starting to back off their prices now because when gas gets high people lose interest in vehicles..

People just aren't interested in over MSRP vehicles... Me either...

Yes, noticed the prices. Opted to buy more in bulk and portion control. Makes for less waste and lessens the cost. Probably should have been doing that anyway.

I'm more worried about the grocery items that you can't even get, week after week, month after month.... at *any* price.

That's what will cause real problems, if it keeps up.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree, the economy was way worse in 2009. Unemployment near 10%, housing values in the tank. Now, despite Covid and Russia, labor unions are making a comeback, and wages are rising fast too.

Noticed the price of Marmite has gotten out of hand.
:(
That's nothing compared the the Vegemite crisis of the mid-2000s when based on misinformation many US retailers stopped selling the product believing it had been banned by the FDA. I remember driving 90 miles to stock up on severely overpriced Vegemite.

My observation has been that processed foods have taken a real jump. Basic staples not so much. People don't realize that a lot of basic food is subsidized by the federal government. Beef is a good example. That is why you can still get ground beef as low as $1.99 a lb on sale.

I agree with everything said but in general I see the majority of shopping carts packed with processed garbage a hula hoop of soda around the edge of cart being pushed by someone that couldn’t hardly walk alone without it holding them up. Just giving my grocery store observation.
I refuse to knuckle down to inflation. My remedy, spend less, make more. I’m 71, still have my CDL. School bus driver in the morning, crossing guard in the afternoon. Between the two I gross an extra $1600 a month. Grateful I can still get out there.
My point is. Do what you can, for as long as you can, to make ends meet. Then, and only then ask for assistance. I have no problem with anyone who has exhausted all options asking for a lifeline. You’ve earned it. Some folks have it backwards.

Prices are still pretty decent at our local "No Frills" grocery store, which also has a points system that pays significantly. We usually get a month of groceries free every year too, by playing the game and buying items on sale or when it pays points. I am amazed people still go to the fancy grocery stores as the prices there can be 1/3 to 100% more for the same stuff! Things like $.80/lb for a bag of potatoes when PEI has literal mountains of them they can't import to the US... Robbery almost. This store always has $2/head of lettuce and Chicken and pork always has options in the $2/lb range, and beef at $5-6/lb. Even stuff like frozen pizza is almost always on sale for $2.50-3.50 for a 12-14" pizza. Other places $5-6 all the time.
I'm sure in many places a discount grocery store isn't convenient, which makes it tough. Amazon may be an option for some things though, my favorite wheat free cereal isn't available locally but I can get it cheaper as long as I order $35 worth and its delivered for free.

Back