Grocery Shopping Yesterday

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
My local store used to a be a place of joy and energy... Now?

Inflation fatigue has set in.
Nothing but down and out faces.
Everyone cruises the meat isle and they all look down and do not touch.
Look and move on.....

Many faces of frustration...
Me? I gave up... I seldom get much from my list because I swear people must go every day scavenging for the good stuff.

Cell phones scanning for deals and coupons everywhere. I guess a good thing is everybody will lose weight because even low quality carbs are MIA or expensive....

A few years ago I was tired of winning...now...oh well we can't go there...😥😥😥😥😳

The trick seems to be hunting deals everywhere, & stocking up when you find them. Like the $1.29/gallon 2% milk & 99 cent/dozen eggs I buy from WM in Dry Ridge, KY when I’m down that way, 5-6 gallons & 2 dozen eggs at a time, milk is exactly DOUBLE that price here, & eggs are probably 50% more.

On my last trip to walmart, I noticed some of the name brand spaghetti sauces were around $7/jar!

It's challenging feeding my family of 6 foods that are not garbage. It's scary that it's more economical to feed them pizza or other take-out.

My fear is, will these prices ever go down? Everyone's costs are up, so I get it, but in my 51yrs on this Earth, I've never seen gasoline go as high as it has and held that price as long as it has.

On my last trip to walmart, I noticed some of the name brand spaghetti sauces were around $7/jar!

It's challenging feeding my family of 6 foods that are not garbage. It's scary that it's more economical to feed them pizza or other take-out.
Yes it must be...drama-humor aside from my post it does bother me.
I see low income people that can not afford the pricing increases as they were not making it before.

My grocery bill isn't that high because I find it cheaper to get take out too plus I shop infrequently and when I do go I get what's left over.

I guess people go in first thing in the morning to get the hard to get items but I am not going to do that.

For others sake I hope this ends sooner than later.

Reactions: JTK
My fear is, will these prices ever go down? Everyone's costs are up, so I get it, but in my 51yrs on this Earth, I've never seen gasoline go as high as it has and held that price as long as it has.
I see diesel here for $6
Transportation cost must be crazy too..

I am cheap when it comes to gas but in my head $5 is now normal...
Oh well

Watched an old timer spending a lot of time checking out his egg purchase in the dairy aisle. We all take a peek to see if there are any broken ones. This dude was switching out regular size eggs from the carton and replacing them with jumbos from a different carton. You think you’ve seen it all, and then you realize, you haven’t.

When I was a boy my mother used to tell us about living through the great depression. She was a girl then living on a farm in the dust bowl. Unless and until things get that bad now, and they can, I won't carp about anything.

line-of-poor-people.jpg

Watched an old timer spending a lot of time checking out his egg purchase in the dairy aisle. We all take a peek to see if there are any broken ones. This dude was switching out regular size eggs from the carton and replacing them with jumbos from a different carton. You think you’ve seen it all, and then you realize, you haven’t.
I forgot to mention I see shoplifting everytime I go shopping.
Never seen it this bad before and I live in the country.

Many years ago I worked on a project to make fire proof foam from gelatin. Yes, it worked. We dealt with Grayslake gelatin out in the Chicago area. One thing I learned was how much gelatin (it is basically a pure protein) that they sold to pensioners. Because meat was expensive, they bought gelatin and added a teaspoon of it to their coffee and tea to get their daily need for protein. I am sure this still goes on and we will probably see more folks doing this as meat goes higher and higher in price.

Just stocked up on boneless skinless chicken thighs, $1.99/lb, as much as I want.

Doing more shopping at Aldi. Six bagels for $1.49, half the price of Hannafords. Aldi shares distribution with Trader Joes but TJs is in the trendy part of town, expensive, and has long lines. People grouse and pay up so ???

How much meat should be packaged for the average family of 4-5? A pound, 1.25? Stores aren't packaging meat in these sizes, or people are scarfing them up at 8 am. I buy odd sizes and re-pack them, wasting little.

My free freezer, found on the side of the road ~15 years ago, continues to pay for itself.

My town is not wealthy, but its facebook page is full of people on Mondays looking for takeout when the real restaurants are closed and Domino's Pizza is overloaded.

Last edited:
I agree with everything said but in general I see the majority of shopping carts packed with processed garbage a hula hoop of soda around the edge of cart being pushed by someone that couldn’t hardly walk alone without it holding them up. Just giving my grocery store observation.

Back