Grinding wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new grinding wheel 7X1 with a 5/8 arbor for my Dayton bench top grinder. I use it for sharpening mower blades, axes and similar but, no rough work. Present wheel is a reddish color and I don't know the material is . Please suggest a wheel manufacture you have had good service from and suggest a type of material and grit. Sincerely. Ed Hayes

If your wheel is not worn down it can be trued flat with a diamond point. Best to look up different kinds. A green silicon carbide and white aluminum oxide in 80 and 120 grit would be a choice.

We use Norton aluminum oxide wheels at work. CBN or Diamond for carbide or very hard heat treated steels. 80-120 grit is a good range.

Radiac is USA made, but they do not offer in your size/application. They have options for a 7x1 x 1 1/4" arbor. Only one option for a 5/8, and it's some specialty wheel.

Last edited:
Norton grinding wheels are Industry standard in weld shops and a lot of machine shops, grits have already been suggested. I am an independent and credentialed welding inspector and I'm in and out of major fabricators, power plants and heavy construction sites. As a grinding wheel manufacturer, Norton wheels are what you want. If your local hardware store doesn't have what you need, visit a supplier of welding products that sells welding filler wire and gases.

Peace Love & Jellybeans

Originally Posted by Skippy722
We use Norton aluminum oxide wheels at work. CBN or Diamond for carbide or very hard heat treated steels. 80-120 grit is a good range.

Good wheels. I use the 120 mostly, it gives a nice finish.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
They have options for a 7x1 x 1 1/4" arbor.

Be careful with that size if you find one and decide to use an arbor adaptor. This size is very common for vitrified wheels used on surface grinders. For your work OP, you want a resin bond wheel for a bench top grinder. You don't want one labeled as a toolroom wheel, you want one labeled as a bench and pedestal wheel. Also, you want aluminum oxide (A/O) unless you're grinding carbide, aluminum, or even cast iron, in which case green silicon carbide (S/C) would be used.

Nothing wrong with Radiac, Norton/St. Gobain, Carborundum (I think they're part of St. Gobain now?), Camel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back