Grey oil, Lil help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out fellas, a member of my site has just made this post( I was just gonna poiint himto this site but thats bad netiquette, so I am gonna do the reasearch here, to answer him , if that is possible)

""---------------------------------------
Anybody have any ideas why the oil would look gray pretty much from the get go. I changed the oil and filter because the oil looked dirty after 50 miles. Well it still looks gray, should I be concerned? The oil that I changed hasn't seperated like antifreeze and oil would do. So I know that they aren't mixing, which was my first reaction. Has anybody done some sort of break in for the sr20det? My engine sat idle for 2 years that I know of and who knows how long its been idle between Japan and here. It came from a '91, so possibly 10 years.
--------------------------------------------

Edit to BITOG: Note the engine is a SR20DET (ie 2.0 L turbo inline4), these engines take time + money and risk of scams, to find these days, so I wanna help him out.
This is what I posted in reply:.
wink.gif

""------------------------------------
wish I could see what exactly you are describing.
Do you mean its dirty ( which is no big deal and would mean its just cleaning) or are you saying metail filings in it?

take some oil and put it on a white sheet of paper and closely look for metal filings.
Better yet, have a nearsighted friend take off his glasses/contacts and look with you, nearsighted PPL have real good close-up vision.

If you dont see any doesnt mean theere arent any but at least the thing isnt gonna self -destruct.

If the engine sat for a while use a high detergent oil to clean it like Delvac 1 (yes a diesel oil its also SL rated for gas engines great detergent package)
Or for real frequent oil changes, the cheapest oil thats still very good, is Chevron Supreme use in 10w-30.

Can you take close pics of the oil on dipstick on fingers and on white paper both in a full drop and spread out?

You could also get an oil analysis done:http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Fred..."""---------------------------

Any thoughts at all?
Fluke? engine done for? or?

Fred...
smile.gif

This may be a good case for utilizing a UOA to diagnosis what the foreign material is, metalic was my first thought when oil greying was mentioned, hard to say w/o seeing it. HDEO and or Auto-RX should be helpfull if the discoloration is from sludge or condensation.

Thanks for all the input guys I will refer him regardless and oil analysi does seem proper.

Pablo:
on an internet forum when a question is asked, to refer someone to another forum, to answer said question, is always bad netiquette.

BITOG also has a policy that we cant do that doesnt it?

The nissaninfiniticlub (
Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
on an internet forum when a question is asked, to refer someone to another forum, to answer said question, is always bad netiquette.

BITOG also has a policy that we cant do that doesnt it?

BITOG's only policy regarding links in not to link to a non-site supporter as far as sales go.

ie: if you know where to buy redline cheaper than everyone else, don't post it here, because that isn't nice to the redline salesperson that give up hard earned $$$ to support this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back