Greetings, First post..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, Fantastic site! I've been lurking for a couple months now.

I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, which calls for ACEA A3 spec, preferably 0W30, but 5W30 is allowed. Before I found out what ACEA A3 was, I topped it off with 1/2 liter of Castrol GTX, but lately have been using Quaker State synthetic 5W30. (Will use the German Syntec once I find some.) The reason for choosing the Quaker State is that is is one of only 2 5W30 weights I could find in Canada that meet ACEA A3. The other being Petro Canada synthetic($10 a liter!) So even if it is a Group 3 synthetic, (some say it is a Group 4/5), it can't be all that bad, can it? I know that is a tough spec to meet for a 30 weight.

Also, I agree that Audi is going to be in big trouble to recommend 15,000km service intervals, without specifying a synthetic oil!
Dealers are charging extra for a synthetic, so obviously whatever they're using doesn't meet ACEA A3! Does someone smell an eventual lawsuit from poor unsuspecting owners with blown turbos!

welcome.gif

My personal favorite ACEA A3 oil is Mobil 1 0W-40. I'm trying the Castrol SLX 0W-30 soon. Maybe your fellow Canuck, Patman, can help you find some?

Other ACEA A3 oils you might be able to locate: Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5W-30 (sold at BMW dealers as BMW High Performance Synthetic, it's $3.80/quart here), and Castrol Syntec 5W-50 (only a Group III though).

I also spotted a new "European car synthetic" 5W-40, I think it was Pennzoil?? The bottle had a funky shape.

Jason

welcome.gif
I've an '02 allroad with the 2.7t, so I've been looking at this, too. I find that only Group IV/V synthetics will meet the demanding oil specs these engines call for, which limits me to Mobil1, Redline, and Amsoil in the USA. I understand that QuakerState claims to be ACEA A3 complient, but after reading reviews about this oil on this forum I cannot recommend it. I myself use Mobil1 0W40, although I've tried M1 0W30.

From what I can tell, the 1,8t & 2.7t engines imported to North America are not specified to specifically use an oil with a high or a low HT/HS; apparantly both VW503.00 & VW503.01 specs are acceptable for these engines. Personally, I lean toward the higher-HT/HS VW503.01 approval, though.

As far as turbos go, I guess Audi figures they are robust enough to handle it, regardless of oil used, at least until the warranty runs out. I've actually heard of few turbo failures, and most of them in chipped cars. My dealer uses 5w30 Castrol dino, too, in the service fill.

welcome.gif

...a fine German automobile deserves nothing less than a fine German motor oil...German Syntec...you wouldn't want the folks at the local German restaurant to know you put M1 in your Audi
grin.gif
(nothing against M1 0W40...it's got great credentials...but some things are just wrong to do, even if it is factory fill at Porsche and AMG)
grin.gif
!

[ August 07, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Binmonkey, you may be right about Audi and that 15,000 km service interval. I bought a 1997 BMW 318i for my wife a while back and I didn't bother to look under the oil filler cap since it was night time and there wasn't enough light to check for sludge and when I finaly checked a few days after we bought the car I noticed a terrible case of sludge. The car requires an oil change when the oil change light comes on every 10,000 miles. I am sure the previous owner never used synthetic oil. BMW recommends their own 15W-40 motor oil and BMW dealers either use that or sometimes even a 20W-50 conventional oil to save money
shocked.gif
. After doing three oil changes in four months with some Schaeffer's Neutra 131 mixed in with the oil all of the sludge is gone. The car runs fine. That Audi must be a lot of fun!

welcome.gif

[ August 09, 2003, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Very good comments guys!
Yes the Audi is a blast to drive in the winter with the Quattro AWD. Might actually keep this car for a while. I have seemed to trade alot in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back