greenish color = Gr IV or V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, I took a white LED flashlight and shone it into various types of oils. Some of the oils did not glow at all under the light and just seemed to absorb the spectrum. Some other oils actually glowed greenish under the light, reminiscent of the ol Green GC. Is this an indicator of the type of base oil used or is it simply a function of the additive package? Two 0w30s of the same brand were observed: SL did not reflect the color compared to an SM that did. Do you think the reduction of ZDDP for SM required the blender to use some true synthetic base oil?

Quote:

I was wondering, I took a white LED flashlight and shone it into various types of oils. Some of the oils did not glow at all under the light and just seemed to absorb the spectrum. Some other oils actually glowed greenish under the light, reminiscent of the ol Green GC. Is this an indicator of the type of base oil used or is it simply a function of the additive package?

It's probably more of an indicator of the type dye that has been blended in.

do both oils in a clear glass look the same? or does the green one look green if so then maybe dye if both amber then?
I have no idea what oil or additive will absorb or give off a color. BUT base stock that I by that is clear "water white" in a test tube will look "greenish" when looking down at it in a large blend tank 20ft deep has to do with light defraction.

bruce

Probably in part due to additive levels. I think that they can have an affect on color. The same goes for smell.

bruce381 said "BUT base stock that I by that is clear "water white" in a test tube will look "greenish" when looking down at it in a large blend tank 20ft deep has to do with light defraction."

That would make a great BITOG vacation destination ... not an olympic size swimming pool but a 20' deep vat of virgin motor oil. We could sit along the edge and dangle our toes in it !!
ooo.gif
ooo.gif
ooo.gif

The H.J. Heinz plant is located in our town and my Dad used to take me there when I was a kid. The olives and pickles were in 20' wood tanks and we would walk by on the walkway and grab a handful and eat them as we passed. Loved it !!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back