Green hue to old Valvoline 20w50: normal or abnormal?

Using up some old stock, I have three Valvoline 20w50. I poured each, one at a time, into a clear jug for inspection. All had a identical green hue to them, and I'm not sure if that's the formula of if they have gone bad, so I noted that and set them aside for further inspection. I can snap some pictures of the bottle and the oil tomorrow in the daylight but just curious if anyone is immediately familiar with this as maybe an older heavy oil weight Valvoline formula? These were likely garage sale purchases at least a decade ago, oil is probably 10-20 years old. I recall it was conventional. Like I said, pics if needed but just posting this while I'm remembering it. Thanks.

Color is not an indicator of the effectiveness of motor oil. I wouldn't worry about it.

Valvoline makes some good stuff, that might have come from an era when they were using Pennsylvania Crude at the Freedom refinery. I used to use some of that long ago and remember it being greenish in color.

I remember older oils as having a greenish-hue. They were Pennsylvania Crude based.

CharlesInCharge

Update. Pictures to follow when I get time and remember. I glanced at my really old stock.

The 3 qts of Valvoline 20w50 is API SJ. This is the green hue colored oil. I also have 3 qts of BMW 20w50 that is API SG. I inspected this and it's a golden honey color. Anyone know approx the age of this stuff?

Edit: The SG is 1993 to 1996. The SJ is 1997-2001. Wow this is some old oil.

Some oils are or were dyed. However oils using a significant brightstock content or certain other base oils with a high aromatic content can give off a chemiluminescent hue which, when combined with the amber colour of the oil appears greenish. If you have a UV torch shine it on the oil and see if it intensifies.