Green GC: "Maybe It Ripens Like A Tomato"

Status
Not open for further replies.
rolleyes.gif
I was at an A/Z the other day, trying to pick up some Green G/C. It's in a part of Atlanta, that was formerly a part of the United States, but is now firmly a third-world country unto itself. Thankfully, when an auto parts store employee speaks English as a 5th language, it almost promises GC sitting (with dust) on the shelf. I think I am the only buyer of a multi year-old batch.

Anyway, as I am carefully checking numbers, just to be safe, a young man comes over and in broken English asks me if I need help. I kinda blurt out I am fine, I was just looking for the "Green stuff."
grin.gif

He says: "Is verde?"
confused.gif
Knowing my salsa & GC, I reply, "yes, verde...green oil." "The oil eeze verde?"
shocked.gif
"Yes, it is verde." He takes one from the shelf, and opens it.
shocked.gif

He flashes a big smile, and says, "Maybe eeze gone to ripen like tomato?"
dunno.gif
And with that quickly walked to help another customer with air fresheners.

lol.gif
Thoughts of RedLine & Royal Purple came to mind...
grin.gif

...ripen like a tomato? I think you ought to...um-m-m...squash that rumor...although there is something to be said for his comment as GC certainly has Mobil playing ketchup...er catchup...yup, it's all true
lol.gif

M04 Green GC would be about 2 years old now i guess. i'm sure this has been asked before, but, how many years can this stuff stay as good as new?

quote:

Originally posted by MikeCTM2:
M04 Green GC would be about 2 years old now i guess. i'm sure this has been asked before, but, how many years can this stuff stay as good as new?

A Mobil rep once told the the synthetic stuff was good up to 10 years, if kept in that ever famous, "cool, dry place."
smile.gif
Dunno if he was right, or if "dino" was different.

I've also heard oil lasts 10+ years from several people. But realize, in 10 years there will be new oil with better add packs and what not... I'd use 2 year old oil any day... In fact, I got some!!! M04 Green
tongue.gif

Ripen like a tomato?!?!
lol.gif
lol.gif
Wow that was funny...

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
...realize, in 10 years there will be new oil with better add packs...
tongue.gif

WHAT!?! "...better add packs...!?!" and after I just posted in another thread that you were so IN TUNE...why I am shocked, I am

I read on another forums that a Castrol rep said don't use Syntec past 5 years.

1. I forgot which weight, probably 5w-30 or 10w-30.
2. I'm sure that's a "safe" number.
3. I believe it was 5 years after the purchase date. Yet we can buy bottles that are months or 4 years old!

I actually asked Castrol what the 0w-30 Syntec (GC) shelf life was. They haven't gotten back to me
frown.gif

It'll be in the FAQ if I ever get an answer...

Well, as for the ripen like a tomato bit'. I now see what he is trying to say.....GG started in Green, like a tomato does...Then slowly turns Gold....Both like a tomato and GC. Then turns red.....So, in a couple of years...GC RED? Not that much different than a tomato?

quote:

Originally posted by FD777:
I read on another forums that a Castrol rep said don't use Syntec past 5 years.

1. I forgot which weight, probably 5w-30 or 10w-30.
2. I'm sure that's a "safe" number.
3. I believe it was 5 years after the purchase date. Yet we can buy bottles that are months or 4 years old!

I actually asked Castrol what the 0w-30 Syntec (GC) shelf life was. They haven't gotten back to me
frown.gif

It'll be in the FAQ if I ever get an answer...

The local AZ where my son used to work will be shipping oil back soon then. They don't rotate stock and still have 0W-30 Made in USA Syntec on the shelves. Looking at the bottles it's likely been there since the store opened years ago. I did score 1 quart of gold there last week tho.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
WHAT!?! "...better add packs...!?!" and after I just posted in another thread that you were so IN TUNE...why I am shocked, I am

Hey pscholte - This statement applies to all oil OTHER than GC. GC is on top of all oil and will continue to be for many many years. With Castrol keeping the genuine base oil for GC in M05 - that is a good sign
grin.gif
. lol, didn't notice your post till today
tongue.gif
I'd bet they'll use GC in Starships 500 years from now!

Fear not - I've got my sister to start using GC in her new 2005 car
grin.gif
She actually wants me to stock up on the stuff some more... (Already have 30+ quarts).
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129:
Is the new formulation really red and not Gold?

I haven't gotten any of the new stuff... My latest is M053 - and that stuff is gold. I'll have to get some M06 - red??? Fun!
grin.gif

OH21,

All is forgiven.
wink.gif
Your mind is obviously in tune with the Golden Vibrations...I've never opened one of my 06 batches but I'll bet you the oil is not red!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
OH21,

All is forgiven.
wink.gif
Your mind is obviously in tune with the Golden Vibrations...I've never opened one of my 06 batches but I'll bet you the oil is not red!
grin.gif

I know the oil is not red....if you read above to my first reply, you will see it was just a joke........

Oddly enough, even my earliest vintage green GC (M0302...) has yet to ripen like a tomato. I'll be doing another change this weekend, with oldest stock, and I promise, I'll check carefully for any signs of redness.
wink.gif

Strangely enough, no one has yet made the banana connection. You know, from green to gold. But it's a bad comparison, since I hate green bananas, but love gold ones. You kn . . . oh nevermind . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back