magn 144 92 174
phos 786 808 781
zinc 920 936 933
vis sus 63.2
FP 370
fuel% < .5
insol.% .4
TBN 3.0

Blackstone noted the lead was high and could be due to a particle streak in the bearings and would come down in the next analysis if it was. Never heard of a particle streak before... The car has a hydrolic clutch which means it doesn't engage until almost all the way out. Sometimes I'm not very smooth with it and wonder if I could be lugging it some. Iron looks great though. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks!

Also, I forgot to mention that I almost always use Chevron 93 which has a higher dose of Techron than the lower grades. Does Techron effect bearings at all?

Benjamming, I'm in Huntsville as well and live off of county line road in Madison, so it's mixed city/hwy miles going to work off of Wynn drive. I am up to 50-55 after 1-2 minutes of cranking. I use the VW oil filter and change the air filter every year, roughly after 10k miles. The current air filter has about 4k on it.

The lead looks out of line, with everything else looking OK. We had some similar cases show up from Georgia area (and neighboring states) where it was suspected that someone was using leaded gas. Could that be a possiblity here? I know you said "always" use Chevron gas, but is it possible you filled up a couple times at other places? In any case, I would do another UOA before drawing conclusions.

Also, how long (in months) was this oil in use?

Last edited:
Quote:

Also, I forgot to mention that I almost always use Chevron 93 which has a higher dose of Techron than the lower grades. Does Techron effect bearings at all?

Why would it have higher doses of Techron? Higher octane has nothing to do with more additives, at least from my understanding.

Thanks Guys!! I seem to remember Chevron advertising the fact that they put more Techron in the 93 than they do the other two. I have bought gas at some Conoco stores, but I know it was never leaded gas. I have no idea where you can even buy that stuff any more...

I think my problem is that I have been lugging the motor when going slow. Not in a jerking way, but just going to slow in whatever gear. I'm going to change my ways for a few thousand miles and check it again. It should be better since the weather is cold now and not blazing hot. I used this oil from about April, so it got all the summer heat.

The gas in question was not billed as leaded gas, but had high levels of lead anyway. Again, I would do another test before changing anything drastic.

GLXPassat,

If you drive more aggressively and shift at higher rpms, the lead values will drop down to normal.

The old (green) GC was an excellent product - probably the best all around OTS synthetic available aside from Delvac 1. The service interval looks about right here, given the TBN, FP and total solids level.

I run Shell, Chevron, or Texaco gasoline in the local area and haven't seen any issues with lead in my oil analyses....
FWIW, it's probably not necessary to run 93 octane fuel in this motor in cold weather, since it's not turbocharged. I'd try some 89 octane, mid-grade fuel from one of the companies listed above.

Higher octane fuel is actually HARDER to ignite, so it may be "contra-indicated" for cold weather use....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back