Green and Gold ok to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my dilemma:

I only have in my stash 24 qts of the Green 04 vintage. My sump is 4.5 qts in the Grand Am, so I calculated that I'm 3 qts shy of an even 6 OCI's worth. I went to one AZ today and all they had was 05 (gold) and so I was wondering, IF (and I pray it's a BIG IF) I can't find anymore of the Green, do y'all think it would be ok to use some of the Gold for my last OCI? It would be 3 qts Gold and 1.5 qts Green... Any thoughts? Or should I use 3 qts of a different oil
dunno.gif

BTW...all the start up noise I used to have with the M1 in there....gone. I don't know what it was...piston slap (not really even sure what that is
confused.gif
) or valve train noise, but it's all but gone with the GC
grin.gif
Just thought the Elven Brotherhood would be happy to hear that.
fruit.gif

Well, I mixed two quarts in with my M1 0W40 this weekend and the car did not blow up. Has some valvetrain noise, but I've not yet done a running adjustment on the new rockers...
fruit.gif

Your car obviously will not blow up. They are obviously compatible. However, I would not mix them. Why not run the gold and do a UOA so we can compare it to the green. That way, you can help out your fellow board members and relieve a lot of anxiety.

I have some of the gold but I will not get around to running it next year.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Why not run the gold and do a UOA so we can compare it to the green. That way, you can help out your fellow board members and relieve a lot of anxiety.

I might, but it will be a LONG time before I would get to that point, by then I'm sure somebody will have a Gold UOA (hopefully). If worse comes to worse I could always sell what little Green I have left...
shocked.gif
DID I JUST SAY THAT???
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
Yes, you can mix those two, but why? The green GC is the greatest while the amber stuff just stinks! Go green or go home!!!!! : - )

Yes..indeed the Green rules, but unless I can find 3 more qts I'll be short for my last OCI with GC. So, it's either find something to mix it with, or just settle for 5 OCI's worth of the Green and have 1.5 qts left over...
frown.gif

quote:

the amber stuff just stinks!

rolleyes.gif
sigh I'm trying to restrain myself...but it's not easy...where is the scientific data to support the irrational behavior I am witnessing...if I were a visitor to this board and I followed the "thinking," no let's stick with "irrational behavior," that has progressed to this point on this issue, I'm not sure I would come back

PS For those of you who are so frightened at the prospect of the Gold, there were, on Sunday, three cases+ of 05 Green at the Autozone on 8th street in Colo Springs. I give you first shot at it...you've got your chance...

[ May 19, 2005, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

The green GC is the greatest while the amber stuff just stinks!

I know you're just trying to be funny, but please stop already. Some newbie, such as yourself, might just take it at face value.

I've got a Grand Am too, same engine... I would run the green and when I get to the point of being out of green, I would have no problem with mixing it with the gold. The car won't care, so it shouldn't matter on a psychological basis to anyone. I think the gold will be fine.

...If someone wants a UOA of it if someone mails me some Gold stuff to my house, I'll UOA it on the same interval (7500 miles) as I am running the M1 5W-30 that is in there right now. Just a matter of 7500 miles to pass before that UOA. I'm at 7,000 miles on my oil right now, so let me know within the week if anyone is serious. ...You people seem to really want a guinea pig for your Gold UOA's, thats why I offer, it won't be a comparison to green, but at least you will have a comparison to know it isn't crap, or if it is then we know...

Thanks to all who have shared their wisdom and input. And while I love to laugh just the same as the next man, I didn't start this thread to start going back and forth about who seems to be more immature than the other. I would seriously like some input on the main issue at hand. Now, granted, I'm sure it's all speculation and opinion at this point, but there some sharp minds on this forum. If nobody can give me a yay or nay on the deal...well...then I guess I'll be forced to mix my Green with some M1..or perhaps some SuperTech might work!
grin.gif

*Waiting for the E.P.D (Elven Police Department) to take me away in handcuffs for the 'mixing with ST' comment*....
lol.gif

No dilemma. You will need some top up, so it will work out almost exactly right! You forgot to factor in 1/2 qt. or so per oci.
grin.gif
You have enough for 5 oci's unless you run it low or do short 3K oci's.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I'm reminded of all the discussions on how Supersyn was to be the death of Mobil 1...

So true! When BITOG first was around, that was one of the biggest topics! We even discussed that topic before this version of the board came to life.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I think it would be fine to mix them.

One of these days, I'm going to put 4 different quarts of oil in the Festiva and do a UOA on it. I'm thinking Supertech, Pennzoil, Castrol, and Quaker State.

Will you also send in a VOA made up of equal parts of the 4 oils to see what your oil really started out as?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
No dilemma. You will need some top up, so it will work out almost exactly right! You forgot to factor in 1/2 qt. or so per oci.
grin.gif
nono.gif

I wouldn't dream of going 3K on GC...that's...that's just plain WRONG!!
shocked.gif

As far as the top off goes, I just went 5K on my last OCI using M1 5w-30 (I know it coulda gone longer, but the Green was BEGGING to be used), and I didn't need any top off. But this time I'm going to try running the GC till the OLM light comes on...I'd be willing to bet it will be at least 7K before it does. I was planning on getting one extra qt of GC for top off purposes just in case, that combined with the fact I'm using oversized filters, so I'm squeezing in slightly more than 4.5 qts....
cheers.gif

Unless Castrol has issued a caveat against mixing colors of GC, where's the conflict? I haven't been keeping up with this thread (no reason to since I don't use GC), but it sure seems to me green GC is being phased out as existing stock is depleted as a matter of routine continual product development. One OCI of mixed, but compatible, additive chemistry is not going to affect a motor. Does Castrol actually derate the listed specifications of gold? If not, quit obsessing - it's just motor oil.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
grin.gif
nono.gif

I have a Grand Am as well, I've got 7000 miles in my 7500 mile interval and I haven't lost any oil. If he doesn't as well then it will work out fine. I'm not sure why everyone seems to believe that all cars consume or burn in one way or another. I mean no offense to anyone when I say that, but I have seen no oil loss personally.

Bighead, have you experienced any drop in your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back