Greece doesn't want Europe to run the checkbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster

No I don't believe ALL of it and I never said ALL of Greece's problems are a result of "banksters". I said the Euro is a flawed system and austerity can make things worse. Open your eyes. Are you that naive? Then again you do watch Fox News for your source of information. Talk about garbage. Nice job. LOL these baby boomers are dense. We are in some trouble!

Well he did, so I was curious why you posted it.

I don't even "watch Fox News", so why do you always say that?

My eyes are open, thanks.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm

It's amazing (and discusting) that we continue this foolishness when our roads, bridges, schools, hospitals etc...are in decay.

Fixing this stuff would reflect positively on local politicians, and be a basically free "gimme". Or if the local guys were actually responsible and kept stuff up, it wouldn't be "shovel ready" when a stimulus came along.

It's really nice to hear from people on the ground in Europe.

Thanks guys.

It's also nice that the thread wasn't locked, yet.

There's no need for personal attacks as to one's opinion. Yet some people always go there.

Maybe if we keep the good old USA out of it. The discussion can continue.

well it happened again the people that run bobs, kicks some out but cant see politics by others. i would be better to just have a political thread.

One of the fundamental problem of Euro's monetary system is that they do not have a way for risky nations to default. Forcing the same interest rate and loan currency on to all members means a Greek default could destroy German banks.

If the Greek loans are priced according to the risk of default and the risk of currency devaluation, then all is good, but that's the problem with Euro in the long run. Today it is Greece, tomorrow it would be a huge part of central / eastern Europe.

Aside from going to the US' Federal / State model and have tax revenue of each nation pool into the Euro fund, I do not see the system last.

Originally Posted By: morris
well it happened again the people that run bobs, kicks some out but cant see politics by others. i would be better to just have a political thread.

Gee, thanks for the positive post.

I can actually see a thread like that coming, if we can behave here.

Back on topic- I just can't see a way out for Greece at this point. This does not vouch well for the euro...

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
One of the fundamental problem of Euro's monetary system is that they do not have a way for risky nations to default. Forcing the same interest rate and loan currency on to all members means a Greek default could destroy German banks.

If the Greek loans are priced according to the risk of default and the risk of currency devaluation, then all is good, but that's the problem with Euro in the long run. Today it is Greece, tomorrow it would be a huge part of central / eastern Europe.

Aside from going to the US' Federal / State model and have tax revenue of each nation pool into the Euro fund, I do not see the system last.

I agree with this as well..

People keep thinking Germany has so much money, But they really don't. German always goes bankupt, that there about too again.

Originally Posted By: yannis

These are the same people who retire in their fifties(policemans,army staff , firefighters etc). lol
Let me enlighten you.
50% of the working force is occupied in state owned companies(public sector). Most of them are voters of the two biggest political parties. In fact most of them were hired because they were voters of the two biggest political parties (corruption no1).
To gain their votes , each year they recieved at least 5% increase in their salaries (corruption no2), with borrowed money from the european union.

If someone want a job in the public sector they need to pay through votes as you already confirmed but i heard also that they also often need to pay fakilaki (Bribe) to the person who handle the recruitments otherwise its not possible to get the public sector job. If they cant afford to buy the employment directly they have to pay a certain % of the salary every month instead.
Is this something you can confirm that many government employed people have put in system to actually sell employments in the public sector, From what i was told it was one of the common ways to get a job.

Originally Posted By: magnus308
it would be very interesting if you could explain more about the fakilaki system.

It's not always black or white , there is quite some grey in it.
Egoism is the main culprit, you have the money , you think you are special and you demand special treatment . You "problem" usually can be solved without fakilaki if you are willing to wait in the line with the rest of the crowd .
The good part is that they won't let you die. In a hospital for example , no matter how poor you are , unemployed , illegal immigrant or just without medical issurance , if there is a case of emergency you will get a treatment free of charge.
This situation of course skyrockets the hospital expences..

Originally Posted By: magnus308

If someone want a job in the public sector they need to pay through votes as you already confirmed but i heard also that they also often need to pay fakilaki (Bribe) to the person who handle the recruitments otherwise its not possible to get the public sector job.

It is true to some extend. If you are overqualified it is difficult for them to say no . But among equals yes you have these two choises .
In public sector you could keep you job forever by law , they couldn't get you fired ( until now). This will change , almost 150.000 public servants will lose their jobs until 2015. That's why you see the violent protests on TV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

There is one major difference, though. We are the ones who control the global currency and are the largest economy while Greece is a very minor economic force.

The only difference is that our Ponzi Scheme will go on longer but when it falls I doubt that even Bread Lines will be available.

http://www.truth-out.org/bill-moyers-where-right-went-wrong/1328974045

The origins of the scheme originated in the early 80's via banking deregulation and neo-liberal economic thinking. Reagan failed in many many ways.

Math via MIT.

And many of the baby boomers didn't see this and now want to blame others for their ideology that is failing wherever it's implemented around the world.

Crony capitalism and corporatism. They created the monster. Banks get bailed out, the rest of us get austerity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back