Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pictures I took while riding my bike to the summit of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Disclaimer: wavinwayne is not a good photographer, so please don't critique my lack of photog skills.

From the visitors center at the entrance to the park. If you've ever been to the GSMNP in the summer, you know how early this picture had to be taken.
DSCF0026.jpg

The beginning of the ascent. Still many more miles to go.
DSCF0029.jpg

A random stream, with unusually low water level.
DSCF0031.jpg

Looking to the West
DSCF0034.jpg

I'm never going to get there. Why do I do this again?..
DSCF0035.jpg

That front brake must be dragging....Nope, I'm just slow.
DSCF0036.jpg

They're not called the "Smoky" Mountains for nothing.
DSCF0037.jpg

Looking down onto the Blue Ridge Parkway
DSCF0049.jpg

Somewhere along the final portion of the ascent to Clingman's Dome
DSCF0050.jpg

Dang, even my shadow is fat. Note to self - climbing mountains is easier if you are not fat.
DSCF0051.jpg

A flower that I thought was pretty.
DSCF0053.jpg

Where the Appalachian Trail crosses the road to Clingman's Dome:
DSCF0056.jpg

I never did see him.
DSCF0058.jpg

You can see Clingman's Dome if you look closely. It is demoralizing when you see how much further you still have to ride.
DSCF0059.jpg

FINALLY! The summit:
DSCF0060.jpg

Even my bike was tired:
DSCF0063.jpg

ALL of one certain species of Fir trees has died throughout the entire National Park. Other evergreen species have been unaffected.
DSCF0064.jpg

Last but not least, a picture of an overweight, yet determined to climb the mountain, wavinwayne:
DSCF0072.jpg

It looks like a terribly strenuous route. I'm sweating, panting, and hurting just from looking, thanks!
grin2.gif

Some PP wouldn't hurt. Wanna see?
wink.gif

Ah, memories.

I did the Outward Bound course for a month in the Smokies and Blue Ridge about 30 years ago. Didn't get to use roads, however!
Looks like a great trip you had.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
What camera are you using?
grin2.gif

Fuji finepix z30. It was cheap, and easy to fit into my jersey pocket. I just put it on auto-mode and snapped away.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Very nice. Now we need a video of the 90 mph trip back down.
grin2.gif

I could only manage around 40 mph on the steepest parts of the descent. Too many switchbacks to go any faster.

Scariest parts of the entire descent are the two tunnels that do not have lights. I always hate those.

Only 40!
wink.gif
Coming from knobby tire bikes, I always crank my road bike to stupid speeds on the downhills... I don't want to imagine falling down but its a fun rush.
Great ride though, how long did it take and what's the elevation change? I've been down to the park and area twice now and its a great park surrounded by some fun roads too(deals gap).
Thanks for posting this.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Scariest parts of the entire descent are the two tunnels that do not have lights. I always hate those.

I was up on the BRP on my Goldwing a couple of weeks ago.

I came up on a couple of bicyclists in a long dark tunnel (that had a bend in the middle), and they didn't have any lights.

I hit my hazard lights and stayed a good 50 feet behind them through the tunnel.

They were very hard to see in there, and with the bend in the tunnel, I was afraid that they might get hit by a car.

Indylan, the elevation change is somewhere around 5100 feet, give or take a little.

mrsilv04, if you'll notice in the last picture, I'm wearing a Hi-Vis reflective vest, which has a built-in LED flasher on the back. I also have a 3-LED blinky light attached to my seatpost, as well as multiple reflective stickers and tape on my bike and helmet.

Indylan, the elevation change is somewhere around 5100 feet, give or take a little.

mrsilv04, if you'll notice in the last picture, I'm wearing a Hi-Vis reflective vest, which has a built-in LED flasher on the back. I also have a 3-LED blinky light attached to my seatpost, as well as multiple reflective stickers and tape on my bike and helmet.

5100' is a good size climb, especially in one go! In my area 250' change is about the biggest hill with a road on it... So my highspeed bursts don't last too long.

Wow! To tell the tale that your rode your bike up this hill is amazing!

Just this past weekend we were just talking about going to visit the very same parking lot on the summit. Hopefully we'll get the chance to visit there before winter. It's exhilarating to be up there!

Awesome photos, these truly DO capture the experience there! What was the temperature at the top? Was it briskly cold? Was there a big difference in temp between bottom & top of the hill?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
What camera are you using?
grin2.gif

Fuji finepix z30. It was cheap, and easy to fit into my jersey pocket. I just put it on auto-mode and snapped away.

Why don't you correct the color and adjust the tonal range in PP? I know you ignored my offer of giving you an example, but here it is anyway. Just 20 seconds of PP can make even an image that is quite off in terms of exposure printable:

That's how the image fell out of the camera:
72s.jpg

Adjusted in PP:
ww.jpg

It's not that I can't help it, it's just that I wonder why people seem to rarely utilize the potential of their gear. Instead they blame their cheap cameras and maybe think that a better camera will give them better results. With more sophisticated gear they will generally just use an even smaller percentage of their equipment's potential. I'm not advocating the use of "cheap" equipment, but rather I'm advocating to exhaust any gear's capacity before even thinking about "upgrading" to more advanced equipment.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I don't even know what PP is.

Post production is anything done to alter an image after it has been recorded. Besides basic stuff like fine-tuning and image sizing, post production is ideally not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back