Great news from Farnborough Air Show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until they start grounding them again for different reasons and the airline starts loosing revenue...

Great plane for sure but it seems that they didn't test it long enough to get all the glitches fixed.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Just wait until they start grounding them again for different reasons and the airline starts loosing revenue...

Great plane for sure but it seems that they didn't test it long enough to get all the glitches fixed.

You must be thinking of the Dreamliner, the 777 has had an exemplary service record.

Nope...I was talking about the 777; from what I remember last year they issued a warning regarding the GE engines that had gearbox problems and this year the FAA warned of a potential weak spot in the fuselage.

Nope...I was talking about the 777; from what I remember last year they issued a warning regarding the GE engines that had gearbox problems and this year the FAA warned of a potential weak spot in the fuselage.

Standard procedure for an air worthiness directive. The minor cracks and corrosion were found on a VERY few 777's....and those were the oldest, highest cycled aircraft. All FAA requests for the aircraft to be checked has been performed. The engines? GE and Rolls are highly reliable engines but yes, none are perfect and routine directives from the FAA are common and happens to ALL commercial aircraft.
The directives are a good thing, but as stated before, the 777 has an exceptional record. That is a fact.

This 777 development is in many ways designed for the Mid-East three, so this order is no surprise.
This is also a notoriously picky customer, having just refused delivery of three A380s which will need extensive rework by Airbus before Qatar will accept them.

Not so great news at the end of the show....Airbus secured almost twice as many orders as Boeing!
Either the sales team at Boeing needs to be fired, or we need to find out WHY the customer is choosing Airbus.
Pretty much must come down to cost I am guessing.

Airbus is known to save up order annoucements for major aviation events.
It does come down to price, but also delivery.
Most airlines today are driven in their fleet planning decisions by the two and few are averse to selecting either A or B, although there are some exceptions, like Southwest and some little Irish ULCC, both of whom take lots of 737s and nothing else.
Southwest alone has taken about 10% of the 737s built to date.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Not so great news at the end of the show....Airbus secured almost twice as many orders as Boeing!

2nd place is not that bad...and congratulations for Airbus
grin.gif

x2nfol.jpg

Boeing has delivered more than 8100 aicraft of the 737 type models alone.
Airbus has delivered a total of a little fewer than 7900 aircraft of all types since its first A300 delivery forty years ago.
It's a good thing that second place is not that bad.

The 777X hasn't been built yet, so it can't be "grounded again". It's a new model.

The airlines that are losing revenue due to groundings are the airlines that bought the A-380. It's more than 100,000 lbs overweight, has had engine reliability problems and wing structure cracks that caused them to be grounded awaiting repairs. A terrible introductory record.

Last edited:
That 787 demo has got to be the most impressive airliner demo since Tex Johnson did a barrel roll in the 707...just awesome!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
That 787 demo has got to be the most impressive airliner demo since Tex Johnson did a barrel roll in the 707...just awesome!

Yes, I saw that 787 demo. Pretty good stuff. I really wish that something like a barrel roll could have been done. Probably not allowed....but I think it would sell planes and bring volumes of positive attention to this aircraft.

He actually was over to my house a lot. My grandparents both worked for AeroSpacelines and he was the test pilot for the Guppy. I was born after he was killed and grew up hearing stores about him.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

He actually was over to my house a lot. My grandparents both worked for AeroSpacelines and he was the test pilot for the Guppy. I was born after he was killed and grew up hearing stores about him.

While I've heard of "Tex" and his barrel roll and seen it in clips....I didn't know much about the man.
A quick internet search shoes that his real name was Alvin M. "Tex" Johnston (not Johnson?).
He lived until 1998. He suffered from Alzheimers in the last ten years of his life.
Also...from what I read the aircraft he rolled was a Dash 80. It was a much different aircraft than the 707. Weight, structure, etc. At least from what I looked up it said it was. Of course the Dash 80 was more or less an early prototype design of the 707. I believe it sits in a museum about thirty miles from where I sit.

No, the prototype dash 80 sits in the Udvar Hazy museum of the Smithsonian. I've seen it in person.

No, the prototype dash 80 sits in the Udvar Hazy museum of the Smithsonian. I've seen it in person.

Really? I had no idea....last I had heard was that it was being worked on here at Plant 2. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back