"Great" News for Motor Oil Users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A heads-up for those of you who buy motor oil on an as-needed basis, "Lube Report" reported the possibility of a temporarily sanctioned dumbing-down of motor oil quality. Without quoting the entire article, the salient point is of the API's decision on Monday to issue an "Emergency Provisional Licensing Amendment":

"The Oct. 3 teleconference did not address how or if the public should be made aware of EPL, but automakers think they should be. “API should consider somehow making information available as to the oils which are being marketed under EPL,” ILSAC’s Olree wrote to API. “Even though these oils will presumably be marketed for only a short period of time, the fact that these oils do not meet all the same requirements of ‘normally’ licensed oils should somehow be acknowledged.”

BP’s Barbara Dennis concurred that the public should be informed, writing, “Unless API identifies EPLs separately from fully certified licenses on their public website, consumers will be entirely unable to ascertain whether a given license upon which they rely is supported by full data or not."

Don't panic, but y'all might wanna consider purchases now while still fully-licensed product is still in the retail channel.

Enough in the garage to get me thru 2008...
grin.gif

How about just raising the price, like with everything else? People would leave it in a little longer, less would be used, and there would be no deception necessary by the API.

quote:

...and there would be no deception necessary by the API.

API is relaxing it's rather complicated proceedure for substituting base oils and additives in PCMO/HDEO formulations.

I don't think there is an attempt by API or any API members to deceive anyone, it's simply a matter of allowing substitutions to some licensed formulations or igniting a finished lubes shortage!

My stash will last through 2010 or better.

177 bottles of oil on the wall, 177 bottles of oil on teh wall, take one down, pour it in, 176 bottles of oil on the wall...
fruit.gif

Oh well....according to the thread above, my stash of M1 is worthless and now it is tainted, unpure, adulterated dino. I might just jump off a bridge...

hmmmmm...where was that thread on vegetable oil !
banghead.gif

Also required: technical information showing “that the use of the substitute component will not adversely affect the claimed performance of the licensed product.”

I wonder what this means...

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
My stash will last through 2010 or better.

177 bottles of oil on the wall, 177 bottles of oil on teh wall, take one down, pour it in, 176 bottles of oil on the wall...
fruit.gif

Now I know what there talking about when they mention Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
grin.gif

Won't happen. The consumer oil market is ALL about reputation. Which blender wants to be the first or last with "tainted" product on the shelves?

Lets see : down to 16 gal of HDEO mostly Delo, Plus some odd qts and a couple in opened bottles, plus a couple of odd boxes of trop artic , about 19 or 20 qts, and 6 qts of GC green, 3 qts of 75-90 Valvoline, down to 7 or so qts of M1 ATF ( need more) , yep need more in the personal SPOR. but enough for a year at least :).

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
so screw API certs and buy oil that has the equivalent ACEA cert still in tact.

Maybe Im miussing something,but there is more than one certification that is half decent... if an oil doesnt meet API blah blah, blah, but still meets MB229.3, ACEA A3/B3, VW 50x.x, etc. can it be that bad?

JMH

Don't some botique oils claim to meet API specifications without actually being API certified? Read the labels carefully, do they just claim to meet the specs or do they say they are appoved by the organization issuing the specs.

Seems like the honest thing to do would be for the major players to take the Amsoil route and just not say they are API blessed until they get back to their original formulation. This is not a slam on Amsoil, they have good product and get along without API certs on most of their product line, why can't other oil companies do it for short period of time.

API shouldn't give them this out. It damages APIs reputation and is a diservice to consumers and oil companies that comply with API standards and certification requirements.

It looks like my OCD/Pack-Rat issues might have some sort of adaptive advantage after all.

Anybody want to buy som Pre-Hurricane motor oil? Only $5 a quart! I have the receipts to prove its origin . . .

I don't see any advantage.
If you want to buy an oil that wasn't affected by the hurricane disruptions, there is a faily easy choice - German or Belgium made Castrol.
No hurricanes - no formula changes.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
I don't see any advantage.
If you want to buy an oil that wasn't affected by the hurricane disruptions, there is a faily easy choice - German or Belgium made Castrol.
No hurricanes - no formula changes.

Only problem is both these oils are getting harder to find. I just cleaned out the rest of the Green GC from 8 stores. While there, I looked at the 5w-40, and most were the new "Made in USA" formulation, with a few BC in the back (which now sit on my garage shelf
smile.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back