"Great" News for Motor Oil Users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so screw API certs and buy oil that has the equivalent ACEA cert still in tact.

Maybe Im miussing something,but there is more than one certification that is half decent... if an oil doesnt meet API blah blah, blah, but still meets MB229.3, ACEA A3/B3, VW 50x.x, etc. can it be that bad?

JMH

I don't know what's going on with your area AutoZones...
In the rest of the country Green GC is largely gone and has been replaced with the Gold GC blend which is aplenty.

does anyone know if any of the major oil companies are now shipping these lesser "emergency" oils? if so, are they infact saying so on the packaging?

I need to buy some oil stock and I don't want any "in case of emergency" oil.

So the API sez their reqts are an important standard for the protection of the public, except when they say it's okay to produce a lesser oil. What? And they are not going to tell us, because we might choose not to buy the API oil and go somewhere else. Who are they protecting? Gee, I wonder. The ACEA isn't going to jump into this I hope.

I'm (almost) with TallPaul 137Qts on the wall, 137qts, take one down.......... all M1 and at 10thou per change, I should be good for awhile

quote:

Originally posted by Warstud:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
My stash will last through 2010 or better.

177 bottles of oil on the wall, 177 bottles of oil on teh wall, take one down, pour it in, 176 bottles of oil on the wall...
fruit.gif

Now I know what there talking about when they mention Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
grin.gif

Just think if he bought a drum, and a pump, he has almost a drum... but hey, I was there too... been giving mine away and my brother in law will get most of my 36 gallons, so I can go buy some NEW and IMPROVED OIL... gheee I know I'm sick... have togive all my oil away just because I want a better improved version... I'm sick. sick I tell yah.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
Just think if he bought a drum, and a pump, he has almost a drum... but hey, I was there too... been giving mine away and my brother in law will get most of my 36 gallons, so I can go buy some NEW and IMPROVED OIL... gheee I know I'm sick... have togive all my oil away just because I want a better improved version... I'm sick. sick I tell yah.

A drum would be nice (kinda like a keg to a beer drinker), but I would miss all those quart bottles that line up so nicely on the shelf. Also the drum is more prone to contamination.

I too have gotten rid of stash, sold off 18 quarts Havoline synthetic and 5 quarts of Maxlife SM. Worse yet, I had the coupon for 5 free quarts of Mobil Clean 5000 and gave it away. I must be nuts! No, I am nuts!
freak2.gif

EDIT: I am monitering the Castrol Start Up clearance at Meijers week by week. Right now it is $1.80 a quart. If it drops significantly more I will grab it.
gr_eek2.gif

[ October 17, 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
My stash will last through 2010 or better.

177 bottles of oil on the wall, 177 bottles of oil on teh wall, take one down, pour it in, 176 bottles of oil on the wall...
fruit.gif

My oil stash...

Liteweight...
grin.gif

(and I have more than those two photos.. About 60-70 qts more now.. )

But I do change for a few cars in the family..
tongue.gif

I'm good for at least a few years..
gr_eek2.gif

But I'm not going to have to worry about $2-3 or $xx a quart oil..

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: My wife thinks I need a 12 step program..
twak.gif

Yes, oil hoarding seems to be paying off. Bought before the price increases, and when quality control was not an issue.

Dumbing down the specs is plain stupid...'specially in 3month 3000 mile territory.

Just ask people to drop back to 4 months/4,000 miles for the "emergency" period, and keep oil quality up.

no-one would suffer.....ohhh...'capt profits that is.

ok, now that everyone has shown off their private stash --- does anyone know if the Mobil 1 I'm about to buy is some cheapened hurricane releif oil? how can we tell??

Even if it's been affected it will take some time for the reformulated production to make its way to the shelves.
Do the Mobil bottles have a production code?
Check that before you buy.
Or buy the German produced GC. No hurricanes and material shortages to worry about.

I don't know how to read the mobil date codes. anyone??

I've looked at GC, but I think it's too thick for the cold chicago winters. i know it's a 0W, but it is much thicker than M1 5W30 down to -20. I'm freakish about cold weather flow, so I'm sticking with M1 in the winter.

If you're worried, temporarily switch to an oil one notch better than what you use, or shorten your OCI for a few months. Either way I'd think you'd be buffering sufficiently for any small drop in general quality.

No?

quote:

Originally posted by sky jumper:
I've looked at GC, but I think it's too thick for the cold chicago winters. i know it's a 0W, but it is much thicker than M1 5W30 down to -20. I'm freakish about cold weather flow, so I'm sticking with M1 in the winter.

It's not "much thicker".
Your engine won't notice a thing.
As Bruce has said:
"You will never tell the difference since all the specs quoted are typical and will vary by 10% or so at any given time."
You'll be just fine with GC!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
A heads-up for those of you who buy motor oil on an as-needed basis, "Lube Report" reported the possibility of a temporarily sanctioned dumbing-down of motor oil quality. Without quoting the entire article, the salient point is of the API's decision on Monday to issue an "Emergency Provisional Licensing Amendment":
Does amsoil fall in this catorgory?
"The Oct. 3 teleconference did not address how or if the public should be made aware of EPL, but automakers think they should be. “API should consider somehow making information available as to the oils which are being marketed under EPL,” ILSAC’s Olree wrote to API. “Even though these oils will presumably be marketed for only a short period of time, the fact that these oils do not meet all the same requirements of ‘normally’ licensed oils should somehow be acknowledged.”

BP’s Barbara Dennis concurred that the public should be informed, writing, “Unless API identifies EPLs separately from fully certified licenses on their public website, consumers will be entirely unable to ascertain whether a given license upon which they rely is supported by full data or not."

Don't panic, but y'all might wanna consider purchases now while still fully-licensed product is still in the retail channel.

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
Bill, you have problems.

Nope, Not a problem at all. I know what I have and will use every once of it someday.
grin.gif

I do change oil for more than my two outfits. I just figured out that I have enough Castrol oil just for my Toyota to go to 88k.

I'm driving it alone 25-30k per year so I have enough in stock for 2-3 more years. Then I'd have to go on something else like Chevron when I run out.. No problem because I trust and like chevron or any other oil..

The oil is getting used and right now my oldest oil in the stash is 12/2003 so less than 2 years old.

I figure that the oldest oil I'll ever use in a Oil change would be 3 years old. Not old at all.

And I bought 98% all under $1 a quart and most of it around .50-60 cents a quart.
cool.gif

Or let me put it another way... If you take all of my oil in the garage (over 340 quarts as of now), add it up in total cost, you would spend more $$ than I have invested if YOU went to Iffylube for only 8 visits.
gr_stretch.gif
(though friends don't let friends go there, and no BITOG would hopefully be going there)
tongue.gif

Or if you bought only 50 quarts of Mobil one or GC @ $4 a quart.

Plus, I know what I have and don't ever
have to make a trip down in the middle of a oil change!
grin.gif

I did sell a case of chevron Tuesday to a guy down the street who bought my snow blower and saw the oil in the garage. He paid $10... ($4 made there...!)

I can go buy more oil now...
gr_eek2.gif

(Ok, you are correct, I do have problems...)
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back