Great new Petro-Canada oils - take a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petro Canada has updated their site, and has a couple of new oils that might interest people here:

New Duron-E 0W-40:

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resource/download.aspx?type=TechData&iproduct=2138&language=en

When PC first intorduced this line of oils, they had a 10W-40 grade that looked pretty good for cold-weather operation. Now they've taken it even further with this oil. Look at the specs - -66 degree pour point, and 5548cst @-35C! TBN is a bit low, but this eems to be the case with the newest diesel oils (CJ-4). Seems it would be a great dual-use oil for cars that use 40-weights.

New Synthetic 5W-40 passenger car oil:

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resource/download.aspx?type=TechData&iproduct=1024&language=en

PC has a 5W-40 grade in its HDEO Duron line, and a memeber here even got a great UOA on it in an old Audi (and recommended it):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post225474

Now, PC has a SL-spec, A3 rated, slightly thinner 5W-40 oil more designed for cars. Again, look at the specs - nice, thin 13.9 cst@100C, great cold cranking/pumping specs, and a strong TBN.

Finally, PC 'Turbo' Synthetic 5W-30:

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resource/download.aspx?type=TechData&iproduct=1016&language=en

Not as new a product, but now they have a spec sheet up for it. Again, seems to have good specs for those who like a slightly thicker 5W-30, but still with good cold-weather numbers.

I know I sound like a spokesperson for PC, but I'm not. I just think they produce good products, and just thought I'd bring them to your attention......the 5W-40 PCMO syn especially, b/c that grade isn't that plentiful up here.....

Cheers!

Well, there is a growing chain of quick-lube joints in Ottawa, at least, called 'Oil Changers' that use PC oils exclusively. Also, if you go to a GM-certified lube shop, Goodwrench/AC Delco oil in Canada is PC oil, so a lot of people are using it without knowing it.

I suspect the reason a lot of people don't use them, is they are simply hard to find - the ONLY place to buy them retail is PC gas stations, and there you pay nearly $5.00/litre for the conventional, and $11.00/litre(!) for the synthtic. They simple aren't on retail store shelves that I know of.....

Unless you buy it from a bulk plant most products are expensive and can't be had. It is popular with commercial users, but when I can get 5 quarts of Pennzoil/Valvoline/QS/Castrol GTX for $17 off the shelf basically anywhere in most circumstances it's only worth going there for the specialty products.

I run 5W-30 Maximum in the Nissan and 5W-30 PC Synthetic in the Miata. They seem like great products with the specs to back them up. I also have an "Oilchangers" in my neighbourhood which makes it even easier, especially at this time of year.

Does anyone know where the P-C bulk plant is (assuming there is one) in the Ottawa area? I wouldn't mind picking up a case of the Synthetic to start building my stash.

G.

Go south on Merivale past Hunt Club Road. Its on the left, before you get to the train tracks. I'm in West End Ottawa, about 10 mins from this area...all the bulk oil centers are there - ESSO, PC, Shell...great area to be in...LOL

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Thanks for posting. They do make great products. I can't understand why more of your brethren do not support them.

In western Canada, this is why:

Petro Canada and the National Energy Progam Heist

Elsewhere in Canada, it is not available readily at competitive prices since it is typically sold only at gas stations at the retail level.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Go south on Merivale past Hunt Club Road. Its on the left, before you get to the train tracks. I'm in West End Ottawa, about 10 mins from this area...all the bulk oil centers are there - ESSO, PC, Shell...great area to be in...LOL

Thanks addy! I'll check them out.

G.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Thanks for posting. They do make great products. I can't understand why more of your brethren do not support them.

I tried their 5w20 Supreme on my wife's car and was not impressed at all with the performance of that oil. I know it's only one UOA and we should never take that as the final word, but I just didn't like how the TBN dropped so much so fast, and also did not like the higher engine wear numbers. I think most of all, I did not like the high price tag of the Petro Can oil though! I know that it can be found in some bulk distributors for a lot less, but I could only find it near me at the local Petro Canada gas station, for $5 per liter! That's higher than the cost of synthetic oils when they go on sale up here (for instance, Walmart still has PP 10w30 in the 5qt jugs for $18.47!)

I figure if an oil is going to be a conventional oil at a synthetic oil price, it should perform close to a synthetic if they want to keep my business. Otherwise I'll stick to my plan of buying Castrol GTX, which sells for around $12 for a 4.4L jug when it's on sale (like this week at Canadian Tire for instance)

An overpriced (strike one !!) Government run (strike two !!) oil company (strike three !!) product ....
....what's not to like ??!!?
21.gif

Last edited:
It may be over-priced, PB, but you have to admit, they seem to be very good products......

Yes, in the 1970's PC was a part of the NEP, but a lot has changed since then. I think they have enough autonomy that they can't be considered a 'government oil company' in the same vein as oil companies in Venezuala or Russia......

Do you guys know if the Arctic 0W-30 synthetic is the same price as the synthetic 5W-30 stuff? I've been running the 5W-30 in all our vehicles but would like to try the Arctic, if the prices are similar.

From when I last checked, the 0W-30 is quite a bit cheaper than the 5W-30. The 5W-30 is about $11.00 retail; while the 0W-30 is about $8-9. If you buy from the lubricants warehouse, you can get the 0W-30 for about $4-5; and the 5W-30 for $6-7. All these prices are per litre.

They finally reformulated the 0W-30 to SM from SL, the previous SL was quite high in volatility so it wouldn't pass SM until they did it but it looks like the pour point is 4 or so degrees higher now. I am going to find out what it costs in four litre jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back