Great Invention

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks awesome!! I guess it never made it into production because it wouldn't be used THAT much on a daily basis by motorists.

From the look of the video and the tail fins on the Caddy, it looks like we are talking early 1950's. A neat idea for sure, but fairly complex and possibly quite expensive by 1950's standards. My guess was it just was not economically feasible to offer it.

Can you imagine what kind of problems that would cause now if it were installed on a vehicle? Some folks have problems just using 4 wheels! LOL!

But that guy made it look easy.

Good stuff! Besides some of the practicality issues, it is a great little way to maneuver. With an electric hydraulic pump and motor to turn the wheel, it would seem viable.

But we do have auto park these days too...

I think it would be a bit slow for use on real roads where parallel parking impedes traffic.

might get a little dusty inside the trunk. I would be concerned about water, salt etc getting in too.

It said "with the use of the drive shaft". Just how would that work exactly? Wouldn't the drive shaft have to be disconnected from the differential and somehow connected to the spare, and then re-connected? All while the drive just sits there?

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
It said "with the use of the drive shaft". Just how would that work exactly? Wouldn't the drive shaft have to be disconnected from the differential and somehow connected to the spare, and then re-connected? All while the drive just sits there?

I have seen this Gizmo before, No way could they run it at drive shaft speed. Maybe, geared off the drive shaft with an electric clutch to engage drive (which is kind of complicated, messy and potentially dangerous)
Smaller wheels on a retractable boogie and electric or hydraulic power might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back