Great article on Engine Replacement/rebuilding!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure where this would fit best so, I put it here.

I was doing some research JUST FYI about rebuilding or replacing engines and I came across this very interesting article that I thought some here would like to read and comment.
Its been 25 years since I even considered engine replace/rebuild but, with the economy the way it is, and the rest of the cars in good condition, this might be an option that needs to be considered.

Maybe we here at BITOG don't need to know this because of our Obcessive Compulsuve maintanance! LOL enjoy

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/june99/mech.htm

Ya, decent article, especially the heavy emphasis on cooling system neglect.

This was interesting: "Import engines in general are more prone to detonation problems than domestic engines."

That was an interesting comment, but this was an article from 1999 discussing engine rebuilds which generally happen at over 100,000 miles. So we're talking cast iron blocks and primitive pre OBD fuel injection from the late 80's/early 90's. That sounds right in that context, and that foreign engines are smaller and worked harder which was true at that time, now it's all the same 2.4 and 3.5/6/7 in every midsize car it seems.

Lot of times,it is better off getting a reman over rebuilding which is sometimes cheaper.Getting a 350 rebuilt is about $1,500.00 in my area and a Jasper reman is $1,200.00 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back