Greased Lightning synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ran accross some gresed lightning full synthetic motor oil in 5w and 10w flavors at big lots. 1.99/qt. Anybody know anything about this brand? I never heard of it. tnks

so when the supply ends, I guess that is it. Hmmm..too bad...you know the stuff is a3 rated. might be worth while to get an oci or two worth for 2 bucks a pop.

Did it have PTFE in it? Stay away from that, as that is the same $h!& that's in Slick 50!
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
If thats true that it has it..

PTFE is bad.
"Eats" your bearings due to acidic buil-up.

Fred...
nono.gif

Sounds like you know something... Hummm
I'm doing a PTFE additive right now, I have my first sample in (2323miles) and reported it here... The next sample at near 4600Miles is on the way... I currently have about 70 miles SHY of 6000 miles and plan on pulling a sample - hummm depends on the 4600 mile one I guess (maybe at a forced drain or maybe ???)
Just What do I look for to protect me and my BERINGS? When does this ACID suppose to build up?
How long do I need to let my OCI run before you are certain I will have build-up! No, Joke, I'm serious... I wanna know...
What are the numbers suppose to look like to show you they are being eaten up... please give me an example on the low and high end of the scale?

Did it have PTFE in it? Stay away from that, as that is the same $h!& that's in Slick 50!

I have always heard bad stuff about Slick 50 and the PTFE, but when I used it in our 1988 Camry, it seemed harmless.

The Camry is getting ready to turn 300,000 miles (sold to sister-in-law); all original engine & transmission. I ran a treatment of Slick 50 at the 100,000 and 200,000 mile intervals.

Can't say it helped, but sure didn't observe any ill effects either (had a valve adjustment at 250,000 miles and all looked good from a cursory view).

Any chemical that has Halogen on it can form acid by products when it decays in a crankcase.

If you do 3000 miles oil changes it may not matter, but if you are one of the extended OCI guys...

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
Any chemical that has Halogen on it can form acid by products when it decays in a crankcase.

If you do 3000 miles oil changes it may not matter, but if you are one of the extended OCI guys...

Fred...
smile.gif

pat.gif

Now I remember... the tech guys told me something about not doing Extended drains on it... But Just what is extended drains??? Their oil will be over 3K, mine at least 10-15K (if that is a normal drain)... so if they are said equal in drain... I guess I can safely go to at least 10K... I'll keep it in there and let you guys know with my reports!
shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif

I didn't see anything on the label about ptfe additive...just said full synthetic and included a3 on the ratings on the back. I'll need to go and read it closer to make sure.
I've used sl50 in the past, don't do it anymore, just cause I didn't see too much benefit from it. But it didn't seem to do any long term harm either. Still have a vehicle that I used the product in about 10 years ago. Sat in storage for 8 years. Bearings still seem to work in that it still runs fine on 5w30(currently restoring it). Of course I haven't pulled the engine to check for acid etching either, so I'll just raise an eyebrown and say I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back