Grease for Rear Axle Bearing With Plastic Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a rear axle repair bearing that has what looks to be a plastic carrier.
[Linked Image]

The grease appears to have been compromised, perhaps by differential oil and is leaking out onto my brakes.
The differential oil seal is on the inside between the differential and the bearings in this setup and the bearing is greased.
I am looking to repack the bearing with a grease that is more resistant to slinging and dilution if any differential oil leaks into the grease and is compatible with both metal and plastics
Any recommendations for what type of bearing grease to use?

That looks like a semi-float axle.

The main lubricant for the axle bearings IS the gear oil. It's not "contaminated".

Usually, the manufacturer packs the bearings in a new axle assembly just to provide initial lubrication before the gear oil makes it down the axle tubes and reaches the bearings. It's not the permanent lube.

I'd leave it as is and top off the diff fluid when you are done.

Thanks, but I think in this case, since it is a repair bearing, that the oil seal is on the inside of the bearing, not the outside, as originally designed, so the gear oil is not supposed to leak past that seal.
There is a small single lip seal on the outside of the bearing, but a larger double lip seal on the inside of the bearing

Use a lithium based Marine bearing grease. Lithium to maintain compatibility and Marine because it is even sticker than the Red HP bearing grease. But the fact is that when oil mixes with the grease its going to thin and sling. The lithium base is just a carrier for oil so more oil thinner grease.

It looks like the bearing is in backwards. There has to be a seal to keep out brake dust and water. I see none here

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It looks like the bearing is in backwards. There has to be a seal to keep out brake dust and water. I see none here

I concur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back