Grease for Power Wheel gearbox

I’ve hopped up my sons Power Wheel, and interested in re-greasing the gearboxes. Others in the Power Wheel forums have done this in the past with good effect on noise and performance.

I figured I would try to get a detailed recommendation on the type. The gearbox is a 4 stage reduction with Nylon gears. The motor output is metal, and the shafts are fixed into a plastic case. I included a photo of a broken box.

The two failure modes seem to be shaft overheating and melting through the case (what happened to me) and stripping of the 1st gear. Since both these things are happening on the fast side of the box, I think heat could be an issue.

A reputable power wheel modding company sells a red grease. What kind of grease would you recommend?

Thanks!

8DDC9AC2-3FA1-44D1-B281-925A19D319C2.jpeg

AB984E69-B8D0-4FE1-8EB9-3E933261F7CF.jpeg

I would use Lucas Red n' Tacky. Its sticky so I'm thinking it would have better adhesion to the surfaces of the teeth. If that box you have in half does not have any opening to the motor, meaning, if you could pack the entire box with grease without it entering the motor, that would be great. I'd pack both sides of the box with grease, and use RTV sealant to keep it from leaking!! Probably not the case, but it would be great if you could!

I observed my friend juice up his 5 year old sons trike. It was way too much, he couldn't even get the wheel to grip on pavement, he'd just sit and spin the wheel! He backed off the modification a bit and got it useable. I saw his son buzz down the street past his driveway going at least 10 mph, biggest grin I've ever seen!

there was a time nylon gears meant white lithium grease.
but that's usually found in tiny toys, that kind that cart around a 30 pounder at 3 mph.
probably use anything that won't attack the plastics.

Thanks! I’ll be generous, but unfortunately can’t pack it because the input and output aren’t sealed.

Here is a small write-up of the truck. It has a hidden speed control that I can adjust, but I’m sure my little guy will find it soon enough. I’ll probably swap in the proportional speed control pedal at that point.

I would use a synthetic grease rated for plastic and nylon gears. My father hopped up my jeep I'm surprised I never blew the gearbox. I would slam it forward from reverse and pop the front wheels off the ground. He played with the speed controller and he put a car battery on it.

Back