gray gunk on drainplug magnant and ? for Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is more of a general question. Most people say that with amsoil atf they get less grey gunk on their magnant than with z1 in hondas. The last time I changed my atf, which was the first time since I first used amsoil I had more greay stuff than when I drained the time before. Does this mean its wearing down my clutch packs more? Or that the amsoil is pushing carrying more of that stuff through to the magnant?? Also my honda has a small inline filter that honda never mentions changing. Is this something that I should change? It is easy to change but I guess a pita to get to since you basicly have to remove the bumper or atleast loosen it and I hate messing with those plastic bumper clips! Johnny have you ever changed this filter in your element?

I normally see a huge glob of black/grey sludge on the magnet.

Yes, you should replace the in-line filter.

Even at low miles (approx 10,000) if you remove the plug you will be surprised at how much gray slime is on the magnetic drain plug.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Automatic transmissions slowly self destruct from the time their put into use. Its just the nature of the beast.

+1 to that.

The "gray" stuff on your magnetic plug is ferrous in nature (iron shavings) that comes from various ferrous components wear and tear as time goes by (clutch packs, gear facings, etc.)

You shall be able to rid of them by draining and changing the filter ( I know the ATF filter doesn't really do much as far as trapping smaller particles/insolubles concerned) and go on the regimen of changing your ATF on a regular basis.

Q.

Well you may be seeing accelerated cleaning effect of the AmsOil, I have used it straight of 2AmsOil+1 Z1 for 50,000km and change oil twice a year. My findings progressively less gunk , but I think the frirst time I used AmsOil the amount of gunk was the same then it decraesed quite a bit

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Automatic transmissions slowly self destruct from the time their put into use. Its just the nature of the beast.

But then so does EVERYTHING on a vehicle. Including the driver.
wink.gif

The only transmission magnetic drain plug that allways came out perfectly clean was on my Subaru Forester. The Forester used a 5u spin-on oil filter.

Assuming that you're not overheating them.. or design/material defects, automatics wear along the lines of how much shifting they do. Not much you can do to alter that. I guess if you could reprogram the things to get rid of those "velvety smooth shifts" that I hear consumers demanded (I'm still looking for just ONE survey).

The most you can do is change the fluid, assure cooling is adequate, and install some auxiliary filtering. Keep it clean and refresh it every so often. The better fluids will require refreshing less often.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back