"Gravel Traps"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have to ask.. Why is there so much bashing about the cleanable oil filters? I have searched the oil filter section and it mainly boils down to the micron rating.. or the lack there of.
Now granted there are some that list 40um as there absolute. I have found that some oem filters list 40um as there speck (motercraft, bosch, and most cartridge filters to name a few). I have also found that some of the reuseable filters list ratings that most of us prefer/can get without bypass filtration. 20-25um absolute with 1um nominal, which is the range of just about the rest of the filter we use.
So why group all reusable filters together? There clearly some that are as good or better then what we buy off the shelf. Then there are some that are just that "gravel traps". So rather then call them all "gravel traps" why not do some homework before passing judgement?

Before I get flamed on the cost and the inconvience of cleaning, I'm disscusing solely on the biggest aruement against them....Filtration.

The cost does not justify the filtration. Fram Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns and 80% @ 5 microns. About $9 locally, sometimes cheaper online.

The K&P SS filter with cheapest finish is $159, going to take a while to recoup that cost, and the high finishes are up to $233.

17x Fram Ultras @ $9 = 1 KP SS
17x Fram Ultras = 255,000 miles of really clean oil.

I got my Ultras for about $5-6 each off Amazon before they raised the price.

I'd be very interested to see what efficiency the best SS filter was at 5 microns.

Also if you need a big filter like the PH8A size, the KP is $289

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Is this correct?

20 micron = 1/50 of a millimeter?

Yep, or 20u = 0.000787"

Quote:
Honey I shrunk the insoluables.....

According to Blackstone, they see NO significant difference in 'insolubles' in any filter. Or to use their exact words ..... "we don't normally see much difference between the various oil
filters that are on the market,.."
from the link below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2272934

As for the topic, you should use what you want and not be influenced what current board push is for a specific filter use. It's your money and your choice, if the reusable type works for you that's what you should use. Me, I don't want to have to clean an oil filter with each use and the cost benefit/roi doesn't work for me. But, that's just me. If it works for you and you're satisfied, ignore the board pundits push for one filter to use in all situations as illustrated in this thread. I do.

If you want to clean it and have a way to properly dispose of the waste, go for it. Used oil filters that are turned in for recycling are processed for the used oil and the steel.

People use best bang for a given $ .so if a quadruple layered filter at 4 um at 99% for 10$ ?good luck making them buy a reusable solution

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The cost does not justify the filtration. Fram Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns and 80% @ 5 microns. About $9 locally, sometimes cheaper online.

The K&P SS filter with cheapest finish is $159, going to take a while to recoup that cost, and the high finishes are up to $233.

17x Fram Ultras @ $9 = 1 KP SS
17x Fram Ultras = 255,000 miles of really clean oil.

I got my Ultras for about $5-6 each off Amazon before they raised the price.

I'd be very interested to see what efficiency the best SS filter was at 5 microns.

Also if you need a big filter like the PH8A size, the KP is $289

I'm not talking about the cost(read my post again)! I am talking about the level of filtration that is comparable to a "normal oil filter" and why so many jump on the band wagon to label cleanable filters as "gravel traps". When in reality the efficiency and flow is as good or better.

Originally Posted By: simplistic
Ok, I have to ask.. Why is there so much bashing about the cleanable oil filters? I have searched the oil filter section and it mainly boils down to the micron rating.. or the lack there of.

Now granted there are some that list 40um as there absolute. I have found that some oem filters list 40um as there speck (motercraft, bosch, and most cartridge filters to name a few). I have also found that some of the reuseable filters list ratings that most of us prefer/can get without bypass filtration. 20-25um absolute with 1um nominal, which is the range of just about the rest of the filter we use.

I'm not talking about the cost(read my post again)! I am talking about the level of filtration that is comparable to a "normal oil filter" and why so many jump on the band wagon to label cleanable filters as "gravel traps". When in reality the efficiency and flow is as good or better.

Can you back those statements in red about metal mesh filters having just as good efficiency as normal filters up with a link or two? I don't think I've seen any metal mesh reusable filter that advertise 20 microns absolute.

And I'm not sure you could even put a "nominal" rating on a metal mesh filter since theoretically if the mesh opening is say 40u, then it will only catch particles that are greater than 40u. A filter with "1u nominal" efficiency is hard to believe as even the most efficient normal filters don't have that performance. A metal mesh filter doesn't trap particles in the same way that a fibrous media filter will.

pure power

37 degree filters

Here is a couple of sites that list their filtration ratings both absolute and nominal ratings and flow specks.

From Pure Power.
http://www.gopurepower.com/information/tests.aspx

SAE J1858 Multi-pass Test, Southwest Research Institute

"This test employed various sized contaminants which were injected upstream of the oil filter and allowed to flow through the filter for 40-60 minutes without pause. The Pure Power filter far exceeded the standard filtration of OEM filters, indicating 90% better filtration."

90% at what micron level? They don't divulge any info on the particle size.

From 37 Degree Filters
http://www.37degreefilters.com/technology.html

This one looks better and actually advertises some specs that give the whole story (unlike Pure Power).

"The micronic, 3-dimensional weave in our primary and secondary filter assemblies captures particulates at 25 microns absolute with 98.6 percent efficiency, yielding a beta ratio of 75. Per SAE HS806, our filter tested at 17.8 gallons per minute (gpm) at 2.8 pounds per square inch differential (psid)."

They don't say at what viscosity the oil was for the flow test, but it has to be pretty hot and thin with those numbers. The secondary filter element to filter bypassed oil is a pretty slick design.

If the 37 Degree filter meets those claims then it would be as good as most fitters out there. But again, how many people really want to clean the oil filter every OCI? I would probably use a filter like this on a race car just to get the lower PSID since race cars are ran a high revs most of the time.

The 37 Degree Filter website actually has a ISO 4548-12 test report that was conducted by the Southwest Research Center in San Antonio, TX.

http://www.37degreefilters.com/resources/test-reports.html

The graph on page 5 shows that the ISO 4548-12 efficiency is 88.5% @ 20 microns. Although that's not really "stellar", it's not too bad. Many normal media based filters can do 95% @ 20 microns or better.

I'm impressed that 37 Degrees ran and posted up the ISO 4548-12 test data.

Obviously, where a wire mesh filter shines the most is in producing lower PSID with high flow rates.

One of my jobs was to clean the hydraulic oil filters out of the F-14 Tomcat. All the oil filters were made out of a fine grade stainless steel wire mesh. We would clean them in a ultrasonic tank filled up with trichlorofluoroethane -- the best laundry stain remover / degreaser in the world.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I love my k&p stainless filters and very easy to clean.

Those are made by Pure Power.

I have made a request to a couple of other reusable filter manufactures. I will up date when I get more information.

Almost every OEM filter flows better than it filters... at least compared to aftermarket claims...

Why is that...? To avoid by-pass mode whenever possible...flow over excessive filtration...?

And what is the efficiency rating when the filter is in by-pass mode... which it is every time you start a cold engine, or get up in the revs...? Don't kid yourself, your filter runs in bypass mode to some degree FREQUENTLY.

IMO, way too much focus on efficiency ratings... when the filter has a bypass valve built in.

I would almost be tempted to run a metal screen type filter with no bypass over ANYTHING with a bypass valve.

And many engines have a metal screen on the oil pick up, which keeps the really big stuff out anyway...

However, for most cars, it makes NO DIFFERENCE to the engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back