Graphite / Moly brake caliper grease is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad used to keep adding WD40 in door hinges and will have to redo every 2 months.

With those graphite moly brake grease it seems to be quiet forever.

Applying grease to a hinged connection works well, but requires removal of the hinge pin (if you're referring to house doors.) WD-40 is easy and requires nothing more than some paper towels and a couple of seconds to apply a squirt or two.

So, the benefit of using a penetrant (I use Deep Creep in a pinch) is convenience, although the last time I used Deep Creep on old hinges, all it did was push out some rust and now the thick layers of paint after all the years show some brown staining.

Yeah, I also took the whole hinge out and clean / sand all mating surface, then dry before putting them back together. I guess you can call what I did a "rebuild".

That probably would last another 10 years before they squeak again.

WD40 is a water displacement and solvent and a poor lube and it sticks up the house. I use a little 3 in 1 oil on hinges and very rarely.

Last edited:
I've used many different oils and greases on residential door hinges. Anything decent will hold up well such as Liquid Wrench lubricating oil or Triflow. You bet an axle grease will last about forever though.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Yeah, I also took the whole hinge out and clean / sand all mating surface, then dry before putting them back together. I guess you can call what I did a "rebuild".

That probably would last another 10 years before they squeak again.

Yep, that's what I did (after using Deep Creep) in my place. I've been squeak-free for a few months now, and hopefully won't hear one for a very long time.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
WD40 is a water displacement and solvent and a poor lube and it sticks up the house. I use a little 3 in 1 oil on hinges and very rarely.

Yep, but WD40 will also penetrate and quickly get rid of squeaks, albeit temporarily. Like I said, it's a quick, easy fix, and if done correctly won't cause any appreciable, lasting odor.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I prefer a "squeak" in a (house) door hinge.

If you get just right, it sounds like a 'haunted' house.

crackmeup2.gif

Actually, I just remembered I used DuPont's new Teflon "dry" oil on the front door earlier in the summer. Still smooth and silent.

They make a special prduct for door hinges. I think it's called "door ease." It basically looks like a large crayon. I've used this product for 30 years. Doors won't squeak for at least 10-15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back