Graph your viscosities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my customers are all in Bolivia, I don't think this vilolates the rules about links to non sponsors.

I have put together a little calculator/graph program (in Spanish, of course) where you can put up to 4 different oils with their viscosities at 40 and 100C, and it will give you the viscosities every 5 degrees and a comparative graph of the 4 oils for a 100 degree temperature range.

If anyone wants to use it, it is here
www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Viscosidad/Conversiones/Graficos/graficos.html

I haven't tried it yet but it looks cool. I just compared several oils myself, at 5 degree intervals, over the past few days and this would have come in handy.

OK, I just tried it. My suggestion is to add the low temp viscosity to make it more accurate at colder temperatures. (Not sure if you are worried about that in Bolivia though)

Nice, we NEED this. We need a sticky of typical viscs, like 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-40, 15w-40, 20w-50 for reference. This will help out a lot, thanks. I'll look at it later.

If you change the 0 degree default (upper right hand side) to a minus number it does figure the lower temps when you press recalculate.

I would suggest adding a line to enter the Viscosity Index of the oil, this can vary widely from oil to oil and is likely used in your calculations possibly as a constant?

Quote:

I would suggest adding a line to enter the Viscosity Index of the oil, this can vary widely from oil to oil and is likely used in your calculations possibly as a constant?

The viscosities at 40C and 100C are sufficient to determine the VI.

My theory was as long as you have both 40 and 100, you've got vi. If you follow the spanish, the other links take you to pages that will give you cSt from SUS, Redwood or Engler, visc at 40 if you only have 100 and VI. Or another that give you viscosity of mixtures, or percentages of oils to give get a desired viscosity.
I've done dozens the hard way with industrial gear oils, and decided it was time for a tool, they decided to have it default to some tipical motor oil values.
Actually ambient temperatures range from around 0 F to 140 F in different parts of the country. They just don't vary much from season to season.

Widman, do you have the actual spreadsheets for viscosity and VI calculation that you can share with us?

Could you make the viscosity scale logarithmic? Or add a button for that option? Great comparison tool, BTW
cheers.gif

That is the famous chart that is taught in classes and published in books. I've got it published on at least one maintenance buletin I've published, maybe a couple of years ago.

No problem with sending it to those who want it in excel. That is what I ran first before putting it into javascript and flash. Drop me a line at [email protected]

I love it. By changing the minimum Temp and using zero values for 3 of the oils you can get the scales to whatever accuracy you want. This is a wonderful graph and tool. I love it and have absolutely no negative comments. Thank you so much.

BTW- For those who can't read the note at the bottom (in Spanish) as you hit freezing and below, it will not be terribly accurate with oils that have pour point additives. That is why they use cold cranking tests.

You need to have flash installed. some IE settings could block it also. There is nothing scary there, so let it open. Personally, although I've checked it on IE 6, Firefox, and Mac, I prefer most navigating in Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back