Grapefruit - the true magical fruit?

If I have even half a grapefruit with my breakfast I can go a LONG time before I get hungry. Same meal, sans grapefruit and I'm hungry in 4 hours.

Grapefruit interacts badly with several other meds besides statins. It contains an enzyme that other citrus fruits do not. Typically grapefruit either blocks the effects of the meds, or it greatly magnifies the effects much like taking an overdose of that drug.

If I have even half a grapefruit with my breakfast I can go a LONG time before I get hungry. Same meal, sans grapefruit and I'm hungry in 4 hours.

Big fan of grapefruit and citrus in general. Unfortunately, grapefruits seem to interact adversely with many types of medications. I get a lot of mileage out of cold oats and fruit (banana, apple, pear) in the morning.

A few meds. Do you take any of those? I certainly don't.

Point is grapefruit are darned healthy and actually the fact they interact with those (sometimes dangerous) meds says they have some good compounds and are a great fruit in the diet for the vast majority of people.

PS Eat want you want, I'm not a Dr nor am I telling people what to eat. But dang, like a broken record.

smiley guy 😁
:ROFLMAO:

A few meds. Do you take any of those? I certainly don't.

Point is grapefruit are darned healthy and actually the fact they interact with those (sometimes dangerous) meds says they have some good compounds and are a great fruit in the diet for the vast majority of people.

PS Eat want you want, I'm not a Dr nor am I telling people what to eat. But dang, like a broken record.

smiley guy 😁
:*******:
I’m not bashing grapefruit I think it’s great will it effect people on certain meds sure it’s possible was I ever on any of the meds yes Warfarin when I had a PE.

I had heard that but why not?

Better to get healthy and not have to take statins
There are compounds in grapefruit that inhibit certain liver enzymes and either cause dangerously high levels of the drug taken because the drug is not broken down quickly enough or if the drug is a pro-drug it is not converted to the active drug and there's no therapeutic effect. Both can be very dangerous. The risk is specific to specific meds.

Lots of people with high cholesterol have a genetic problem unrelated to dietary cholesterol intake. They have too few cholesterol receptors on their cells and this results in cholesterol not being internalized into the cell and it stays in the extracellular space.

There are compounds in grapefruit that inhibit certain liver enzymes and either cause dangerously high levels of the drug taken because the drug is not broken down quickly enough or if the drug is a pro-drug it is not converted to the active drug and there's no therapeutic effect. Both can be very dangerous. The risk is specific to specific meds.

Lots of people with high cholesterol have a genetic problem unrelated to dietary cholesterol intake. They have too few cholesterol receptors on their cells and this results in cholesterol not being internalized into the cell and it stays in the extracellular space.
Thank you for that explanation! It is the only explanation that I understand in this thread.
I am lucky that I can enjoy grapefruit. I usually feel satisfied and not hungry for some time after having a grapefruit. Ruby Reds are my favorite.

Not supposed to take it with statins which many people are on.
Yes, but ...

I take a daily dose of statin, and I also love a good, juicy, red grapefruit. So, every now and then I'll enjoy one. I keep it down to maybe one grapefruit a month if that. My doc, who keeps a good watch on my conditions, has told me not to be concerned. But, and I emphasize this, this is my situation, and under medical observation. YMMV.

Can you expound to include cholesterol and the myelin sheath connection with Alzheimer's? I'm asking due to reading some unsubstantiated reporting of the need for cholesterol at some level to protect the myelin sheath which correlated to lowering the risk of Alzheimer's. Hard to figure out what is accurate and what is not these days. If not a-ok, figured you might have some insight.

I had heard that but why not?

Better to get healthy and not have to take statins
Compounds in grapefruit can greatly affect one’s CYP450 enzymes. Statins are one usually affected; narcotics and opioids usually are as well- the enzymatic breakdown of the drugs are impeded, so the effects last longer and can cause problems depending on dosage. Famotidine is another compound that can cause issues as well. Everything that happens in your body is affected by the CYP450 enzymes, so some people are more susceptible to interactions. This issue is usually overlooked by most doctors, and can result in serious complications or death.

Some people who could be considered as “abusing” narcotics will consume large amounts of grapefruit or famotidine before taking the narcotics in order to block the enzyme action and amplify the effects of drugs.

Back