Grandfather Clock Repair Question

This doesn’t sound right and I disagree.
I honestly think this is mistyped or you misunderstood.
Supporting the weight as you pull on the chain to lift the weight seems like common sense?
No confusion. The repair shop I am using has been in business for 30+ years and is well know for quality work. As stated I was told to Never support the weights when winding my style movement.

German Kieninger Company clock movements are VERY expensive. These are the mechanical movements that Howard Miller uses and has been using for MANY years. In addition to the high quality cases and faces, this is one of the major reasons for why Howard Miller clocks are so expensive. Many clock owners don't know that these movements require cleaning and oiling on a regular basis.

German Kieninger Company clock movements are VERY expensive. These are the mechanical movements that Howard Miller uses and has been using for MANY years. In addition to the high quality cases and faces, this is one of the major reasons for why Howard Miller clocks are so expensive. Many clock owners don't know that these movements require cleaning and oiling on a regular basis.
That's what I was told when I questioned what I thought was a high price.

No confusion. The repair shop I am using has been in business for 30+ years and is well know for quality work. As stated I was told to Never support the weights when winding my style movement.
I think you were advised to not support the weights because of the possibility of the chain coming off the sprocket/ratchet. I've never had that happen, but I suppose it is a possibility. To support or not support, that could replace to prefill or not prefill.

I appreciate all the feedback. Its obvious that from all the post there are VERY different approaches to my dilema. As I only want to keep the misses happy and based on the value of my unit all is ok with my choice of repair and cost at this point. In the end I guess and hope you get what you pay for!
Thanks everyone for the input!

Reactions: wlk
Geez, OCD extends to grandfather clocks. If you support the weights gently while re winding you’ll never have any problems, I’ve been doing it for 25 years. If you support the weights excessively and create slack in the chains you will have problems. Or don’t support the weights at all, I don’t care anymore.

Geez, OCD extends to grandfather clocks. If you support the weights gently while re winding you’ll never have any problems, I’ve been doing it for 25 years. If you support the weights excessively and create slack in the chains you will have problems. Or don’t support the weights at all, I don’t care anymore.
Merry Christmas

Back