Grandfather Clock Repair Question

Hey guys. I have a Howard Miller grandfather clock circa 2006 with the moon phases. The clock recently broke as in one of the pendulum gears stripped, dropping one of the weights. I was told I need a new movement as the old one could not be fixed. I was then told the new movement was going to cost me $750. Is this a reasonable sum for repair? There are not alot of clock repair people where I live so my options are limited but I do not wish to get overcharged. I already paid a $200 home service charge to have the clock looked at. It is a model 610-569.

Last edited:
OP - How did the gear strip?

I have a small clock with one weight.
Whenever I rewind it, I hold the weight in my hand (takes tension off gears) while pulling on loose end of chain.

Whenever I rewind it, I hold the weight in my hand (takes tension off gears) while pulling on loose end of chain.
Work is being done by an authorized repair shop. First thing they asked was if we supported the weight when pulling chain to wind up. Thet said that is a BAD thing to do as it causes undo stress on the movement! You are supposed to only pull chain to wind without supporting anything. In our case the gear(s) just slipped and stripped.

Is $750 the installed price, or just the movement?

I have a 1990s Howard Miller mantle clock..The movement was replaced under warranty around 1995. I think that they said that the movement alone was ~$200, which was 25% - 33% of the purchase price.

I have a 1990s Howard Miller mantle clock..The movement was replaced under warranty around 1995. I think that they said that the movement alone was ~$200, which was 25% - 33% of the purchase price.
$750 is the installed price with warranty. I already paid an additional $195 to have someone come to the house, inspect and remove the old movement. Seems some gears need to be removed and added to the new movement related to the working moon phase dial. In the end I will be into the clock for about 1K.

Well, I have a GFC for 30 years. I’ve always gently supported the weights while winding. So who knows? Your budget, your attachment to the clock all plays into this. So basically I have no advice except for what you already know. It isnt cheap. But if you really like your GFC pay it forward and have the repairs made. A new movement will provide you, and your heirs, with years of enjoyment. It just so happens that a major repair became necessary during your watch. You’re not the owner of your Grandfather clock..merely the caretaker.

Yes. Money is tight now. Something you might have at another time splurged on has to be reconsidered. The decision is yours.

Really no such thing as a "pendulum" gear. Clocks that chime and strike have three gear trains; a time train, a chime train and a strike train. Most likely not a "stripped" gear. Probably the one- way ratcheting mechanism for that gear failed to hold the weight from falling. The clicking you hear as you raise the weight is the one-way ratchet mechanism. Cleaning and oiling may be all that is needed. My experience with tall clocks is that I have never seen that component fail. If you have any mechanical skills at all, remove the clock motor from the case and inspect that ratchet to see if you can see why the weight is not being held from falling. Another cause could be wear on one of the levers that engage the chiming and striking trains. I have experienced this once since I first owned a tall floor clock. $200 home service charge seems a little atmospheric, but that may be today's rate. See if you can see the manufacturer and movement model # on the back plate of the clock. There are a lot clock parts vendors on the internet. Compare their cost for a replacement clock motor to the $750 price quoted to get some idea of what dollar amounts are in play here. To my way of thinking $950 is a nice payday.

Work is being done by an authorized repair shop. First thing they asked was if we supported the weight when pulling chain to wind up. Thet said that is a BAD thing to do as it causes undo stress on the movement! You are supposed to only pull chain to wind without supporting anything. In our case the gear(s) just slipped and stripped.
This doesn’t sound right and I disagree.
I honestly think this is mistyped or you misunderstood.
Supporting the weight as you pull on the chain to lift the weight seems like common sense?

Last edited:

Around $350 for a Hermle #350-020 mantle/carriage clock movement these days.

Well, I have a GFC for 30 years. I’ve always gently supported the weights while winding. So who knows? Your budget, your attachment to the clock all plays into this. So basically I have no advice except for what you already know. It isnt cheap. But if you really like your GFC pay it forward and have the repairs made. A new movement will provide you, and your heirs, with years of enjoyment. It just so happens that a major repair became necessary during your watch. You’re not the owner of your Grandfather clock..merely the caretaker.
I support the weights for my grandmother clock as I lift them. Have done so for years. Can't see how doing that could possible harm the movement.

The weights on my HM clock are suspended by cables. I just follow the manual for raising them.
Pages from FloorClockManual-496917R5_english-2.jpg

Might be worth checking with the AWCI or NAWCC and see if they list anyone independent near you.

I don't work on clocks(just watches) but naturally have a lot of friends who do. A lot of them tell me that these modern grandfather clock movements really aren't repairable and have limited parts availability. Yes a gear could be made to replace the old one, but it's often a throwing good money after bad question as if the rest of the movement has 16 years of wear on it, you may be close to wearing out pivots and other maladies.

On old American 8 day clocks, there's honestly not a lot that can't be fixed. The pivots are really hard, but can be polished if needed or the plates can be bushed if the bushings are worn. I've seen really skilled guys hand-cut gear teeth patches and solder them in. The newer ones are a different beast as once the plating wears away on the pivots, they basically are junk.

Might be worth checking with the AWCI or NAWCC and see if they list anyone independent near you.

I don't work on clocks(just watches) but naturally have a lot of friends who do. A lot of them tell me that these modern grandfather clock movements really aren't repairable and have limited parts availability. Yes a gear could be made to replace the old one, but it's often a throwing good money after bad question as if the rest of the movement has 16 years of wear on it, you may be close to wearing out pivots and other maladies.

On old American 8 day clocks, there's honestly not a lot that can't be fixed. The pivots are really hard, but can be polished if needed or the plates can be bushed if the bushings are worn. I've seen really skilled guys hand-cut gear teeth patches and solder them in. The newer ones are a different beast as once the plating wears away on the pivots, they basically are junk.
Oil them every other yeas for twenty years and replace the movement. Midwest Clock Repair in Wyoming,Illinois rebuilds movements with cost based on complexity of movement. A three train movement with triple chime capability runs about $300.00. Additional parts replacement runs the cost up. I will be sending in a time only Urgos (one gear train) movement in soon. Current waiting time is eight months.. This movement has not been made for many years, and there in not comparable movement available. This clock will be passed down to family members, so it is well worth repairing.

Hey guys. I have a Howard Miller grandfather clock circa 2006 with the moon phases. The clock recently broke as in one of the pendulum gears stripped, dropping one of the weights. I was told I need a new movement as the old one could not be fixed. I was then told the new movement was going to cost me $750. Is this a reasonable sum for repair? There are not alot of clock repair people where I live so my options are limited but I do not wish to get overcharged. I already paid a $200 home service charge to have the clock looked at. It is a model 610-569.

Back