GrandAm and M1 vs. K&N filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
The test you've been waiting for. 99 Grand Am 2.4L, Mobil 1 5w-30 and 5000 miles on both.
K&N filter @ 60k / M1 filter @ 55k

Alum 2 2
Chrom 1 1
Iron 20 15
Copper 2 2
Lead 1 2
Tin 3 1
Moly 72 53
Nickel 1 0
Manganese 0 1
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 0 0
Boron 134 123
Silicon 7 9
Sodium 6 5
Calcium 2809 2744
Magnesium 15 16
Phos 709 704
Zinc 905 865
Barium 0 0

Fuel Antifreeze 0 0
Water 0 0
Insolubles 0.4 0.4

Nothing unusual in this second sample from your Pontiac. Wear was low compared to averages for this type of engine. Iron was up a little from the first sample but only to an average level. WE found no fuel dilution, moisture, or any signs of coolant contamination in this sample. Air and oil filtration were functioning normally while this oil was in use. In short, everything looks good in this sample and we have no problems to report for your engine at 60,000 miles.

My take: A few things were a little higher with the K&N filter than the Mobil 1 but could be within normal variance. Both had 1/2 qt added over 5k, though Blackstone says 1 qt
dunno.gif
. Note the Insolubles were the same. Mobil advertises good filtration while K&N advertises flow but the K&N filters nearly as good as the Mobil 1. That said, the car is maintained real well and got Mobil 1 every 5k since 30k when my wife bought it, so it might not be much of a challenge. I think either filter is a good choice. My .02.
cheers.gif

[ March 12, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

Good report. I'd like to see if Amsoil could lower the Iron. Any chance you could run a shot of Amsoil?
grin.gif
Could be just the nature of this GM motor though.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Any chance you could run a shot of Amsoil?

cool.gif
Nah.
grin.gif
What I'm doing is keeping Mobil 1 in the car and getting UOA's with different filters to get some hard data for you people.
grin.gif

Thanks J.O.! You helped dispell my minor fears with running a K&N filter.

JohnnyO- Interesting that the iron went up with the higher flow filter, not what I'd have expected.

But then again, lead went down.

One thing we all need to keep in mind is the error within our testing. Who's to say that if the filters had been reversed for the intervals driven, the numbers would stay in the same columns while the filters would swap.

There just isn't anyway of telling...
confused.gif

I'd say that the K&N is no worse than the Mobil-1, especially since the Mobil-1 should be holding more of the wear metals in it since it filter finer, possibly skewing the results of the analyis, i.e. making the Mobil-1 look better than it is.

And just so people don't think I'm biased against Mobil-1, it's the only filter other than the factory that's been used on both my girlfriends '02 Mustang GT, and my '03 Ranger (except for this past time, tried a Wix on the Ranger to see how the insolubles would do).

I still think Bob's tests on the bench he setup and a real answer from the manufacturer on how much flow is needed (which I don't think we'll ever get, not for every vehicle we inquire about) is what is really needed.

I'd think as long as a filter flowed as much oil as a OEM filter both dirty and clean, then it would be fine.

But hey, I'm just a computer geek!
smile.gif

Chuck

The difference in iron levels is related to the colder average temps during the fall/winter, and has nothing to do with filtration.

You almost have to run engines on a dyno, in a temp controlled clean room, to make valid filter comparisons ....

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The difference in iron levels is related to the colder average temps during the fall/winter, and has nothing to do with filtration.

You almost have to run engines on a dyno, in a temp controlled clean room, to make valid filter comparisons ....

Exactly.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

cool.gif
I agree, but hey, I'm trying.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by chucky2:
One thing we all need to keep in mind is the error within our testing.

cool.gif
Again I agree, like I said it could be within the standard variance even if I used the same filter. I'm going to test a few more. I don't think I'll test a Fram though.
nono.gif
With the good UOA I got on my mom's car with an M1/M1 combo, I think that could be the best way to go. Bottom line here (I think) is fear not the K&N.

[ March 12, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

JohnnyO,
I know you said you probably won't try a FRAM, but does that include the X2? As far as the price, it should be equivalent to the Mobil 1 and K&N. I'm running one on my wife's 2000 Grand Am GT right now (not positive they make one for 2.4L). I'd really like to see how it compares number-wise with the Mobil 1 and K&N.

-Z

P.S., I'm talking solely about the FRAM X2, so please let's not turn this into a FRAM-bash.
wink.gif

If I am going to have wear I prefer iron over lead and your lead ppm is lower with the K&N. As mentioned above the winter may have had a bearing also. I have one engine that I have analysis on (once a year OCI) with K&N the past 2-3 years and Pure Ones and Amsoil the previous 3 years. UOA was/is basically the same in terms of wear metals. I like the K&N simply for construction and flow and will stay with it and I am considering converting my Amsoil engines to teh K&N in lieu of Amsoil although Amsoil filters are less expensive for me.

As Bob has recently pointed out though, other then construction does it make a difference what we use as no filter gave him good resutls as well.

cool.gif
Sadly, the experiment is finished. We traded the '99 Grand Am in today on a very slightly used '03 Taurus Wagon. Too bad, I'd just put in a fresh batch of M1 and an AC two weeks ago after an Auto-RX treatment. Worth noting that the start-up rattle came back with the AC filter.
The wife had decided that her Grand Am would not fit two adults, two kids, and one 72 lb. greyhound all at once.
dunno.gif
grin.gif

At least now I get to try out some 5w-20 Motorcraft and 0w-20 M1.
I hope my info helped a little bit though.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back