Grand marquis start up noise

Since I got my grand marquis at 23,000 miles I've used motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter. Always had a bit of start up noise at start up. Since I changed my oil to quaker state full synthetic 5w20 and a Fram Tough guard filter I have no startup noise. None at all? Why is this?

Since I got my grand marquis at 23,000 miles I've used motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter. Always had a bit of start up noise at start up. Since I changed my oil to quaker state full synthetic 5w20 and a Fram Tough guard filter I have no startup noise. None at all? Why is this?
Well, since you changed two variables it's hard to know. Could be the filter, could be the oil. Change one back next OCI and see if the noise returns.

Its the quaker state oil. Motorcraft, exxon, and mobil 1 all caused weird noises in my panther fleet. Since moving to only QS oils (honestly becuase of price not brand loyalty) my startup sounds are gone. Walmart ran an insane sale in the end of 2019 early 2020 and I bought up like 50 containers of QS 5w-20.

Now, there is a hidden secret going on with these engines that the jury is still out on......The 2004 and newer models used a plastic body timing chain tensioner block with a molded oring to seal the oil pressure. The wall holding this oring is thin and will warp with age and allow some oil pressure to leak out. The good news is this loss of tension is on the non load side of the timing chain so performace should not be negativly impacted. But they will rattle at start up.

Prior to 2004 they primarly used a metal cast tensioner block with a ratchet that would hold pressure on the chain. these were better in my opinion but some will stick and rub the tensioner thru to bare metal.

I know its a different engine but --- had on 06 Explorer with the 4.0L --- strictly ran Motorcraft oil filters paired with just about any 5W30 and that engine purred until I sold it with nearly 200K.

Back