Gran Turismo 6, who's buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even since I was 8 years old and the first Gran Turismo came out, I've been hooked. Tomorrow I'll be picking up GT6 after work. FWIW, all the reviews I've read thusfar have stated that the audio in GT6 is still kind of bleh. But hopefully it will be improved via patches. Nowadays I don't have hardly any time to play video games, since I have a family and a busy schedule. But I have the long weekend to myself and I'll be putting in some time with this game over the next few days. Fridge full of beer, liquor shelf stocked, freezer full of frozen pizzas. It's gonna be a good weekend
banana2.gif

I dont play much either! Yeah nice to have a wkend to relax drink and play..brings me back to being younger! Enjoy!!

I enjoy less "uber realistic" racing games. Enjoy grid and grid2. Burnout for the random destruction factor. Old need for speed games like underground 2. Prostreet was fun. Forza is a fun series but too much realism intended.

I was really disappointed in GT5. The AI was no good and the arcade options for setting up impromptu races was incredibly lacking.

I think instead of buying GT6 I'll reinvest in iRacing when I get my new PC built. Hopefully the Oculus Rift will be released some time this coming year.

Well, I got it. I'm enjoying it. They've made the licensing requirements more strict, but I used to always get that stuff right at the start anyway. I wish some GT5 stuff would be transferable (like licenses and a bit of credit like it was between GT3 and GT4). It was available for download, but even with my new internet package, I am not downloading 14+ gigs. To heck with that. I got the last copy at a local store, so I was happy.

We BITOGers should pay attention to the oil company sponsorship signs. Has anyone seen a Mobil sign yet in GT6? I have not, at least not yet. I still see BP and Castrol signs, along with Motul and Elf. I may have seen an AGIP sign behind something on one of the Autumn Rings, but I'm not so sure.

I remember that GT5 had a lot of Mobil stuff. GT4 had Pennzoil and Valvoline signs. The only Pennzoil logos I saw in GT5 were on car liveries carried over from GT4 (i.e. Pennzoil Nismo GT-R, etc.). I had to search far and wide for those Pennzoil cars, too, in GT5, having just got them less than a month ago!

You'd think that the oil companies would stay on board, beyond just Castrol. Where do they think the next generation of car nuts and BITOGers will come from? Not everyone playing GT6 is a middle aged kid like me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
I enjoy less "uber realistic" racing games. Enjoy grid and grid2. Burnout for the random destruction factor. Old need for speed games like underground 2. Prostreet was fun. Forza is a fun series but too much realism intended.

I like the dirt series and need for speed: the run myself.

Originally Posted By: D189379
GT5 was a big let down for me, so I won't be getting 6.

They all got their good points and bad points. I do like a lot of things about GT5 and now 6, but they had better get some special events online and some DLC in a hurry. I've gone through almost half the game already, and that should absolutely never happen so soon in a GT series game.

What really bugged me about some of the more recent games are the lack of longer races. Sure, there are endurance races, but it's either a massive endurance race or an idiotic 5 or 10 lapper, with nothing in between.

Originally Posted By: Garak

They all got their good points and bad points. I do like a lot of things about GT5 and now 6, but they had better get some special events online and some DLC in a hurry. I've gone through almost half the game already, and that should absolutely never happen so soon in a GT series game.

What really bugged me about some of the more recent games are the lack of longer races. Sure, there are endurance races, but it's either a massive endurance race or an idiotic 5 or 10 lapper, with nothing in between.

I agree with everything you stated here. From everything I hear, this game will be very well supported with lots of updates and DLC, so I do look forward to that. Like you, I'm already almost halfway through the game. To be fair, the races in the second half are longer, but still... I also have not yet seen any enduro races, and I hope that they have some medium length ones. 1.5-2 hours would be ideal, or even a bit shorter. I also did enjoy B-Spec a little bit, and that's supposed to be added via update in the future. And hopefully they get that engine noise update patch added soon, because the engine sounds, excepting a few cars, are not very good.

This is why I wish they gave us the ability to create our own races or even series. A little more control over picking exactly what cars, or what types of cars the AI drives would be fun. Like say, I want a muscle car series, or Japanese, or American FWD cars built in the '80's on European tracks, or whatever on whatever.

I think that could add a lot to the replay value of the game.

My problem wasn't so much the gameplay, just the silly money/levelling system. I ended up buying a car, then had no money left, and to be able to buy a new faster car to be able to enter and try to win a higher prize race, I calculated I'd have to run and win the highest prize race available to me at the time 18 times over to make enough money. Keep in mind, this was still a pretty low level car.

That's about the time I stopped playing. I don't mind grinding the same race 2 or 3 times over, but I wasn't about to do it 18 times.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I agree with everything you stated here. From everything I hear, this game will be very well supported with lots of updates and DLC, so I do look forward to that. Like you, I'm already almost halfway through the game. To be fair, the races in the second half are longer, but still... I also have not yet seen any enduro races, and I hope that they have some medium length ones. 1.5-2 hours would be ideal, or even a bit shorter.

They made the new tire wear model and the nifty wear indicator, yet there are no races to use tire wear yet or any way to use it in free run? Yeesh. As for B-specing, I could do without it except for the really long endurance racing. Running a twenty-four hour endurance race is a bit taxing, to say the least, without some computer help. In GT3, with their Formula 1 mini-series, at least the races were appropriate lengths for an actual Formula 1 race. Three lap races don't do a lot for strategy. Choose the best tires you can and go. If you screw up once, you're screwed, time to start over. An AI car does something stupid in your path, you're screwed, time to start over.

@Mykl: Absolutely. Hopefully, there will be no shortage of the downloadable type races to satisfy us.

@D189379: In fairness to GT5, Polyphony must have listened to complaints. With the seasonal races and login bonuses, it got very easy to rapidly build up money. I was getting somewhere around eight hundred thousand to a million credits for one lap of the Ring. There's nothing wrong with that. The "regular" races would never make you rich. The seasonal stuff was where the money was.

Another thing that bugs me lately in these games are these stupid rolling starts. I understand they don't want a logjam at the first corner, since AI cars aren't very bright and it's not usually a grid of six like the much older games. Fine, but that means I have to pick through a whack of dumb AI cars, the first of which may have a twenty second head start. Keep the rolling start if necessary to deal with the larger grids, but reintroduce qualification! The Formula 1 games have to deal with unfortunate logjams at the first corner. That's incentive to qualify properly and get a good start. Bring back optional qualification. Those who want to will. Where one doesn't want to, fine.

As for signage, I've now seen some Total signs and can confirm Agip. I have seen Shell and Eneos service stations. GT 4 had Red Line, and I haven't seen that for ages.

The attention to detail with respect to graphics is pretty impressive. Where the sponsorship signs are lacking on overhead signage hardware, it actually looks like the signage paper was torn off and not replaced. There are actual dandelions in the grass if you go close enough. Take a slow run through Tokyo and look at the signs on the businesses - and their doors. There is a load of detail to be seen.

I gave up on video games 8 or so years ago. I was highly addicted in middle and high school to Nintendo 64 and then the original Xbox...especially with Halo and Ghost Recon on Xbox Live. Once I hit college I gave it all up and now that I've been working for 5 years I'm too busy to play but I miss those days. I have fond memories of running home from school to play Zelda Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 for N64.

Well, some of our little wish list items came through yesterday. There are now login bonuses like in GT5 and the latest seasonal challenge has a reward in the hundreds of thousands of credits. Rewards in other races have also been tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back