Gov't wants to mandate communication between cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also worry that this will make it easier to use your phone while driving. Its okay, the car will tell me/ stop me before i hit anyone.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I do think this is a form of enabling though, rather than solving the root cause.

I won't attempt to predict a mandated robo-car or not, but yes NHTSA is not hiding the fact that they think this will lead to robo-cars. And yes, V2V is an attempt to fix symptoms, rather than root causes.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I also worry that this will make it easier to use your phone while driving. Its okay, the car will tell me/ stop me before i hit anyone.

Again, I think this is giving idiots too much credit. Since when do idiots, or for that matter, pretty much any human being, truly act rationally? In your description, they think they're making a rational decision.

IMO, that's all been pretty well debunked. But now we're veering off into philosophical discussions.

Think about the person that automatically (seems instinctual at this point doesn't it?) reaches for the phone at every red light in order to check Twitter, Facebook, Google, Text Messages. Do you honestly think there is a thought process that involves determining that the features in the vehicle make this behavior any more safe? I just don't see that happening in the real world.

But the positive thing here is, I will be able to make all the other cars "think" I'm driving a Viper with the bootleg chip you can buy in 2020.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
But the positive thing here is, I will be able to make all the other cars "think" I'm driving a Viper with the bootleg chip you can buy in 2020.

Thats a good point, the whole system could be hacked by a car sending out false transmissions.

Self driving cars are coming, the new S class is already pretty much self driving. Being typical of S class its about 8-10 years out in terms of technology to regular cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
That will lead to big brother watching where you go, and how fast you go. Eventuality they can monitor you whereabouts and also automatically send out violations to you

The technology for that has already been in place in various forms for years. No one has happened to implement anything yet.

The California Senate is working on the idea of using technology in new cars to tax drivers per mile and automatically issuing speeding tickets in designated areas. They talk as if they're serious.

I would like to see a hand come out of the dash and slap the faces of those who leave their signals on for miles. You DON'T push the signal lever all the way for lane changes, morons!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The California Senate is working on the idea of using technology in new cars to tax drivers per mile and automatically issuing speeding tickets in designated areas. They talk as if they're serious.

They are serious. They have a big deficit problem.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

People said the same thing about tollway/freeway cameras, didn't happen. They said the same thing about GPS in cars, didn't happen. They said the same thing about EZ-Pass/I-Pass electronic tolling, didn't happen.

I call shenanigans on the "evil big brother is watching you!" non-sense. Not gonna happen. Cars talking to each other does not equate to traffic tickets.

Cameras are at red lights all over the country. They issue tickets.

GPS and black boxes in cars are used in traffic prosecutions for good and bad cases.

Electronic tolls in my area easily snap a pic of the car, the driver, and the plate. How long before a simple timing algorithm tells them how fast you went from that last toll booth?

It's not paranoia, it's really happening. And everyone who just sits there complacently and proclaims their support may not like it when their car drives itself...

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
You DON'T push the signal lever all the way for lane changes, morons!

Um... yeah, I do.

I can't stand bumping the signal stalk and having the signal stay on. I realize it's only for three flashes, but I reflexively try to manually cancel the signal, resulting in three flashes the other direction. Consequently, I push the stalk all the way to the lock position and then pull it back after I've executed the lane change.

We already have houses that talk to each other, why not cars now?
Why not smart grid everything until we're living in an all-EMF, low-powered microwave oven being subtly mentally impaired by pervasive pulsing, modulated radio frequencies and spatially impaired by letting cars think and drive for you.

Heck, if the statistics of when I take a shower, for how long, and how much water I've used doing it is being pinged in real time throughout every other utility-serviced building in the municipality, then what trouble is this?

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I push the stalk all the way to the lock position and then pull it back after I've executed the lane change.

I suppose what my ire was directed at was the drivers who do this and never cancel the signal. I used to see this once in a while in decades past, but now see it DAILY - no exaggeration.

For some reason, I have to avert my eyes. Leaving the signal on is the ultimate of inattention and stupidity, to me.

I think the government should mandate stricter requirements for licensed before our cars start talking to each other to avoid an accident, etc, etc.

If people would drive better, it would save lives far better then any electronic gizmo ever could. I feel it's far too easy for the average joe to get licensed to drive on our roadways. Heck, I got my CDL recently and even that was way too easy that your average idiot without much brains could get certified to drive a bus full of people or a loaded semi truck.

They have already tested self driving semi trucks, and even running them in convoys. Not production status yet, but closer.

Many drivers worried about electronic logs in commercial trucks as some form of big brother thing. I have been using e-logs for about 2.5 years and I can attest that no one is watching. Imagine 2 million commercial trucks on the roads in the U.S. each day and someone is actually watching? That is ludicrous on it's face. And even more so it more advanced technologies are put in autos and pickups. No one is going to be watching. Now, sure, it will record all kinds of data that can be used in accident investigation and such. And that is a bad thing?

Well, maybe it is if you are the nincompoop who caused the accident.

The $64 question of self-driving cars: How do you make sure that the driver is capable of taking back control of the car in an emergency situation that's beyond the capabilities of the vehicle?

This isn't just an academic question... it's what the guy over the cube wall from me is working on.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
The $64 question of self-driving cars: How do you make sure that the driver is capable of taking back control of the car in an emergency situation that's beyond the capabilities of the vehicle?

This isn't just an academic question... it's what the guy over the cube wall from me is working on.

You could use eye tracing to see if the driver is atleast looking at the road, but sunglasses must mess this up.
In reality, probably just slowing down and stopping would probably solve 99% of the driver inattentiveness while the vehicle is confused problem. With all the cars communicating, a sudden stop isn't a huge safety issue like it is with people driving.
A couple good taps on the brake from the computer would wake up most people I'd think.
I do wonder how it will work in the rural snow belt? I assume a visually guided car won't be happy with 6" of snow blanketing the road? Also driving in snow successfully can mean turning off the TC and getting a bit aggressive with your inputs. How well a computer can do that, I don't know.

just another step to outlawing human drivers. I'm 100% against this on every level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back