Gouge in leather steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way of touching up a (fingernail?) gouge in a leather steering wheel? It looks like somebody dug a thumbnail into the leather. I suspect a poorly manicured valet. It's a black leather steering wheel with a noticeable notch in the leather.

I've done that several times to mine,[censored] me off!! I just rub a good amount of leather conditioner into the scratch and it seems to disappear. Also be careful not to scratch it with your keys too.

Is it cut or just indented? If indented soaking that area it with distilled water and drying with a hair dryer on low should take care of it. Don't get it too hot and damage the leather just warm to the touch until dry, do not rub or scrub the area.

I've used shoe polish in the past. It is somewhat temporary, and you may need to re-apply. If it can fix a scuff on a leather shoe, it can better a scuff on a steering wheel. At least it's black -- and easy to match/blend. Mine was grey.

What kind of conditioner did you use?

Originally Posted by Trav
Is it cut or just indented? If indented soaking that area it with distilled water and drying with a hair dryer on low should take care of it. Don't get it too hot and damage the leather just warm to the touch until dry, do not rub or scrub the area.

It's a sickle-moon-shaped cut. I think I'll try a liquid leather filler

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I've used shoe polish in the past. It is somewhat temporary, and you may need to re-apply. If it can fix a scuff on a leather shoe, it can better a scuff on a steering wheel. At least it's black -- and easy to match/blend. Mine was grey.

What kind of conditioner did you use?

It's a deep gouge not a scuff. I used Lexol Leather Conditioner, but the gouge did not get less deep. Somebody really dug their thumbnail in there.

Trav, yes, I am going to order one of those leather repair kits. Since I used conditioner, I wonder if the product will adhere sufficiently. I suppose I could prep the area with alcohol wipes which may help remove the conditioner.

That will probably help a lot, maybe do it a few times to insure whatever they use as a "conditioner" is out of the leather.

Edit: I used a kit years ago that had a heating iron and grained paper that worked really well, I will see if I can find a link to it. Basically you you put a little bit on the damage, pick the grained paper that matches then go over the paper with the small iron and its done. After a couple of test tries on some scrap the real repair really was invisible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back