Gotta replace my 2007 Impreza’s radiator. I don’t see the Zerex Blue at my local Walmart

Yep, unfortunately WM has discontinued Zerex/Valvoline Asian Phoat Blue/Red on stores shelves. Can still be obtained through WM.com online, however $5 shipping added makes it no special deal, ~$20/gal.

Topic Peak OET Asian will work equally as well as Zerex/Valvoline Asian.

I'd add when Zerex or Peak OET get in ~$20/gal range, checking dealer price for oem a good idea. Honda Type II will work just as well in a Subaru too. All mentioned are Asian Phoats AFs.

Here’s your chance to break away from the Asian silliness. Prestone All Vehicles 10 year. Flame suit on. ☠️

A4745D93-1F26-43D6-9035-8FBC3BB84739.jpegF870F309-CE52-4D89-B848-3665965BFCBF.jpeg76E35367-9EDF-4544-81FA-AFC556F3AC08.jpeg

Last edited:
I got Zerex OAT at oreillys yesterday and they had a wide selection of their offerings

Autozone and oreilly's carry it. It doesn't surprise me you can't find it at Wal-mart. The majority of people buying products at walmart are not looking for a high end product to repair their vehicle but are looking for a budget coolant they can use to top the vehicle off.

There is nothing wrong with Peak OET, but it still sucks that Walmart got rid of Zerex and then jacked up the price after switching to Peak :mad:

Go to Advance Auto or Carquest (order online with a 25% code) and get the Zerex Asian Blue (or Pentofrost A3). Both are $20, so with the code it's $15.

Here’s your chance to break away from the Asian silliness. Prestone All Vehicles 10 year. Flame suit on. ☠️

View attachment 41378View attachment 41379View attachment 41380
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2-EHA Dexcool/Deathcool is bad enough on its own, but in a Subaru? The ones with the head gasket issues? NO WAY!!!! Don't use a plasticizer that eats gaskets on a car known for head gasket failure :rolleyes::cautious::alien::poop:(n)

Autozone and oreilly's carry it. It doesn't surprise me you can't find it at Wal-mart. The majority of people buying products at walmart are not looking for a high end product to repair their vehicle but are looking for a budget coolant they can use to top the vehicle off.

That's the problem. The Peak costs $5 more than Walmart charged for Zerex when they carried it :sneaky:

There is nothing wrong with Peak OET, but it still sucks that Walmart got rid of Zerex and then jacked up the price after switching to Peak :mad:

Go to Advance Auto or Carquest (order online with a 25% code) and get the Zerex Asian Blue (or Pentofrost A3). Both are $20, so with the code it's $15....
Would have mentioned AAP in my post cuz that's exactly what I did most recently with Honda d&f. However, I don't believe there's any AAPs in Cali where the OP is. Looks like there's CQs, but I don't know if they honor/use online codes.

Here at b&m WM it wasn't Peak that got switched in, but another brand that previously advertised 2eha in their "Asian" AFs. I 'suspect' nothing has changed but the label.

But yeah agree, stick with and Asian Phoat which is what Subaru uses. Especially for simple radiator d&f.

Would have mentioned AAP in my post cuz that's exactly what I did most recently with Honda d&f. However, I don't believe there's any AAPs in Cali where the OP is. Looks like there's CQs, but I don't know if they honor/use online codes.

Here at b&m WM it wasn't Peak that got switched in, but another brand that previously advertised 2eha in their "Asian" AFs. I 'suspect' nothing has changed but the label.

But yeah agree, stick with and Asian Phoat which is what Subaru uses. Especially for simple radiator d&f.

The codes do work at CQ now that it is part of AAP :)

I went on their site and tested it with a California CQ store in North Hollywood

BTW Subaru's are infamous for head gasket failures on the 2.5 SOHC engines because of the inferior quality gaskets from the factory. Funny how people blame Dexcool or 2-EHA for the junk intake manifold gasket failures on some GM engines yet when Subaru's come with junk head gaskets that fail prematurely it's just accepted it's the fault of head gaskets. Subaru coolant (and all the other Asian P-OAT's) that use sebacate are just as much of a plasticizer as any coolant with 2-EHA (of which there are many) and somehow nobody panics about that.

The codes do work at CQ.....
Cool. If Peak OET AF also on sale like AAP, 25% code will put it right in the range WM sold Zerex/Valvoline before discontinued.

As for 2eha, what is fact is currently no OEM Asian Phoat uses it as inhibitor in thier AF formula. As there are several now readily available, imo makes sense to use an aftermarket Asian AF that follows the same approach.

Along that line, 'if' I was to choose a universal AF for the topic application, it would be Peak 10X full strength. That said, answering OP topic question, sticking with one of the Asian Phoats recommended makes most sense.

Last edited:
Prestone will also sell you a coolant tailored to those want to get more specific. Here is an Asian Green and an Asian Blue. Note there is a distinct break where some (including Subaru) pre-2009 cars get the green and the 2009 onward get the Blue. Enjoy. The green is compatible with a POAT. Notice that of these are 10 year coolants. Whatever floats your BOAT. ;)

2E5FB0B5-0CF0-4BE5-85DC-E43B9E555377.jpeg44AD9EC6-B445-4AED-BFD3-4BC42C9A2AC1.jpegE19DAA12-BF2A-4C7F-A291-1023A1AC9591.jpegBB373511-1D83-43FB-B824-26F65CD8E537.jpegAA8AC74C-59A8-4E59-B41D-3370645A242C.jpeg

Last edited:
Just as point of information to OP, when the other brand being promoted introduced their "Asian" AFs, the jug label said it contained 2eha as inhibitor as confirmed in this thread. Now their jugs have removed that reference from jug, now says "proprietary" instead. I 'suspect' that nothing but the label has changed. And according the SDS linked here (less than a year old) shows that to be accurate.

Again, no OEM Asian AF uses 2eha as inhibitor in their formula including Subaru SLL. Topic Peak OET and others subsequently noted follow that same protocol.

Last edited:
Just as point of information to OP, when the other brand being promoted introduced their "Asian" AFs, the jug label said it contained 2eha as inhibitor as confirmed in this thread. Now their jugs have removed that reference from jug, now says "proprietary" instead. I 'suspect' that nothing but the label has changed. And according the SDS linked here (less than a year old) shows that to be accurate.

Again, no OEM Asian AF uses 2eha as inhibitor in their formula including Subaru SLL. Topic Peak OET and others subsequently noted follow that same protocol.
When internal combustion automobiles came out, not a single one used a buggy whip like all the other horse drawn carriages. ;)

Last edited:
Other than an appearance of some type of promotion, unsure of the reason for bandwidth use on redundant pics and nebulous comment to quote. Information provided previous post completely accurate as posted and apparently undisputed in follow up. Two links given in said post provide all evidence needed to confirm info.

One difference illustrated in images, unlike latest State-side version of "Asian" AF now sold at WM, north of the border edition, jug still shows 2eha as inhibitor in that brand.

Given all the information provided this thread, readers can make up their mind which AFs mentioned appropriate for their Asian vehicle application.

You bet. Just pointing out some options in the free world. :) The second set of photos with the Prestone Blue was to show it’s stated compatibility with POAT, which was not caught in the first set of photos.

Back