Gotta love Friday

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by PimTac
Glad you're Okay. That Explorer looks worse than your Camry.
Yeah, her father came down to try and limp it home. I said dont bother as its leaking ATF from atf cooler lines and power steering line. They had it towed less than 20 minutes later.
 

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by Nick1994
That's too bad, glad you're ok. It's totaled. Time to start shopping.
Yeah, I'm holding onto some hope. Friend has a 2001 Civic LX that he had 3 accidents with. Still driving it shrug
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 15, 2012
Messages
5,718
Location
The land of USA-made Subies!
Glad you're both OK Adam... but look on the bright side, you may be able to get rid of your oil burner at a low cost? Your insurance will have a field day with her with the info in your last post. Unfortunately they likely won't get much out of her, which is why it's always smart to keep a good un/under-insured motorist line item on your bill.
 

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Glad you're both OK Adam... but look on the bright side, you may be able to get rid of your oil burner at a low cost? Your insurance will have a field day with her with the info in your last post. Unfortunately they likely won't get much out of her, which is why it's always smart to keep a good un/under-insured motorist line item on your bill.
Well, her father did show proof of insurance to cop as she doesnt live far from me. He has copies of that stuff so he went home and got them and showed cops. Regardless, she got cited as my insurance got her insurance policy # already smile
 
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
13,225
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
That's a real bummer Adam. Was hoping to see the 25K Fram TG from it dissected and shown here. Did the Police want her phone, to possibly prove Distracted Driving Offense?
 
Last edited:

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That's a real bummer Adam. Was hoping to see the 25K Fram TG from it dissected and shown here. Did the Police want her phone, to possibly prove Distracted Driving Offense?
Between her father wanting to kill her and police I stayed back and did my part answering police questions. Said she looked down for a second. I laughed and said to cop, "probably looked down for her phone" This will be painful lesson for her though
 
Joined
May 15, 2012
Messages
5,718
Location
The land of USA-made Subies!
Adam, if they do total it, I doubt anybody would care if you jumped under there, pulled off the TG, and stuck a brand new Napa Gold 1516 on it. They may look at you funny, but they don't know our addiction so who are they to judge? :LOL
 

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Adam, if they do total it, I doubt anybody would care if you jumped under there, pulled off the TG, and stuck a brand new Napa Gold 1516 on it. They may look at you funny, but they don't know our addiction so who are they to judge? :LOL
LOL! Maybe I should look for a 08' Explorer like she had LOL OVERKILL likes Ford's grin2
 
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
3,908
Location
Central Florida
Adam, maybe you were the victim of bad karma for shopping at the Dirty Bird. I know this from my son attending Pitt. Glad you weren't injured.
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2014
Messages
5,311
Location
Kansas (316)
+1 If you managed to live thats my number one priority but if you managed to get a Ford off the roads too then bravo! Thats the first generation of Camry I liked the looks of.
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
1,110
Location
Northern New York
Pickups. They all have a glass jaw! People think they are some form of protection because they're bigger but they'll kill you faster than most cars and they love to roll as much as an itchy horse. I had a friend who bumped an old DATSUN B 210 ( remember those). He has an big old mid 70 s Dodge pickup. It bent the bumper on the Datsun and put a dent in the fender while it totaled his truck. Nothing but a hard bump. From the look of the Camray it might be an easy fix. If it's not twisted all out of whack which it links like it isn't it's a pretty easy junk yard parts fix with a bit of BFH action.and some paint. So what 🤦🏻‍♂️🤡🤡🤡💩is the insurance company going to give you,🥜🥜🥜. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I hope I'm wrong about that one........ If you like Camrays here's a tip if you're looking for one. It's no giveaway but. The 18 and 19 models were the first with the 6 speed autos. The older 4 speeds were fantastic but the newer one have a tendency to bang shift down a couple gears suddenly if you gently accelerate then gently back off and a couple other situations. Worse it has some sort of learning so it changes a bit to your driving style. That makes it behave even worse on a test drive until it gets to know you. Drives OCB types crazy. There is a computer flash fix which I assume mine has That's how I got mine almost new @ 5k used . You'll find a lot of them like that I bet. Personally we see that [censored] thing about once a month so it's trivial and at the worst , ITS STILL NOT THE DREADED CVT...Ž. Anything's better than that except of course 🤗 a standard.
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2013
Messages
4,389
Location
Central Maryland
Originally Posted by Driz
If you like Camrays here's a tip if you're looking for one. It's no giveaway but. The 18 and 19 models were the first with the 6 speed autos. The older 4 speeds were fantastic but the newer one have a tendency to bang shift down a couple gears suddenly if you gently accelerate then gently back off and a couple other situations.
My "Camry" is a 2010 and has a 6 speed auto. What is "OCB"?
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2014
Messages
2,574
Location
Franklin County, PA
Well the most important part is you're ok. The car did as intended and crumbled keeping you unscathed. Unfortunately it is more than likely totaled. We had less damage to ours when it was rear ended and the bill was around $5500.
 

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
7,374
Location
in Az where the Deer and Antelope play
Originally Posted by Driz
Pickups. They all have a glass jaw! People think they are some form of protection because they're bigger but they'll kill you faster than most cars and they love to roll as much as an itchy horse. I had a friend who bumped an old DATSUN B 210 ( remember those). He has an big old mid 70 s Dodge pickup. It bent the bumper on the Datsun and put a dent in the fender while it totaled his truck. Nothing but a hard bump. .
So every pickup in the last 45 years since the old Dodge got wrecked is a fragile POS and will flip and be totalled if it bumps a Sentra? Sorry but there's more to that story, like the pole the Dodge hit after the Datsun or the Dodge was a total rust bucket held together by habit. I'll take my chances in a full size truck any day.
 

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Adam, maybe you were the victim of bad karma for shopping at the Dirty Bird. I know this from my son attending Pitt. Glad you weren't injured.
Thank you
 

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
23,168
Location
In the shop
Originally Posted by Delta
Well the most important part is you're ok. The car did as intended and crumbled keeping you unscathed. Unfortunately it is more than likely totaled. We had less damage to ours when it was rear ended and the bill was around $5500.
Yeah, it's a 11 year old Toyota. Car being towed Monday I hear and getting in a rental shortly. I am fine still and slept great last night smile
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
1,110
Location
Northern New York
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Driz
Pickups. They all have a glass jaw! People think they are some form of protection because they're bigger but they'll kill you faster than most cars and they love to roll as much as an itchy horse. I had a friend who bumped an old DATSUN B 210 ( remember those). He has an big old mid 70 s Dodge pickup. It bent the bumper on the Datsun and put a dent in the fender while it totaled his truck. Nothing but a hard bump. .
So every pickup in the last 45 years since the old Dodge got wrecked is a fragile POS and will flip and be totalled if it bumps a Sentra? Sorry but there's more to that story, like the pole the Dodge hit after the Datsun or the Dodge was a total rust bucket held together by habit. I'll take my chances in a full size truck any day.
Easy Jeff I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I can always tell when o run across a true truck guy🤗. Just remember that old Dodge was stronger than anything comperable today. They have improved on rollover survivability with stronger cab bodies though Id never confuse it with a roll bar. Believe as you like and pray you never find out first hand how well those trucks, all of them fare in a real grinder, roll over in particular. No cheating the laws of physics when it comes to weight and center of gravity though. Folks tend to feel like the king of the road because they handle snowy conditions so well. They sit up higher , I hear that a lot . It makes them feel safe. They also often get comfortable going faster. Then just like I told my wife when she took off with the then new 2000 Grand Cherokee, " when those 4wd does finally break loose you're gonna get the ride of your life ". Not 5 miles later zing right into the field 🤦🏼‍♀️ Like Confucius say, " once the sliding begins for real you're just another piece of ballistic matter".,
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
53,969
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Driz
Pickups. They all have a glass jaw! People think they are some form of protection because they're bigger but they'll kill you faster than most cars and they love to roll as much as an itchy horse.
That's complete nonsense. I hit a 14-point buck dead-centre in our '19 RAM coming back from the cottage on a back road at ~90Km/h. If it had been my sister in her BMW, she'd have been dead. Not sure how the Jeep would have handled it. The height of the truck was the saving grace there. I then ran OVER the deer, due to the weight of the boat on the back. I still drove the truck home, still towing the boat. Using your anecdote here, a group of kids years back were racing in a Civic and came around a curve into the oncoming lane directly at a family in an F-250. The (stock height) F-250 drove over the Civic, killing everybody inside. The folks in the truck were fine, albeit I'm sure scarred for life. We had a similar incident down east with an SUV (think it was an Explorer) and a Cavalier, which went into the oncoming lane and the SUV went up onto and through the cabin of the car, killing and dismembering the occupants. When we had our 2002 Expedition, I was stopped behind a bus and saw a Caravan SAILING down the hill, the old boy at the wheel not paying attention. He had about 20ft to stop when he realized that nobody in front of him was moving and plowed into the back of the big SUV. There was a 2nd hit as the vehicle behind him, I believe a Civic, plowed into him. I had let off the brakes a tad, trying to buffer the impact as I watched the whole thing unfold in my rear view. Van missed the bumper of the Expedition because of the front-end diving, and plowed clear into my hitch assembly, which went through the front of it. Expedition didn't even have a scratch. The Civic jumped the rear bumper of the van and went through the gate, ending up in the back of it. I had no damage. Gauging the crash worthiness of an entire vehicle category based on what seems like a single anecdote seems more than a bit silly. Vehicle mass, point of impact, type of impact...etc all play a role.
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
29,483
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Glad you're both OK Adam... but look on the bright side, you may be able to get rid of your oil burner at a low cost? Your insurance will have a field day with her with the info in your last post. Unfortunately they likely won't get much out of her, which is why it's always smart to keep a good un/under-insured motorist line item on your bill.
Well, her father did show proof of insurance to cop as she doesnt live far from me. He has copies of that stuff so he went home and got them and showed cops. Regardless, she got cited as my insurance got her insurance policy # already smile
Oh lord! She had to call her daddy. How pathetic. I hope your insurance hangs her out to dry. I'd be SWEET if you had a good attorney friend who could rake her over the coals for you.
 
Top