Gotta love a dead battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CRV wouldn’t start. It’s been 2.5 years on the duralast gold battery. Haven’t checked the individual cells for distilled water. Guess what 4 out of 6 cells are low. Hopefully this works. May just start checking once a year now, lol.

Texas is darn hard on batteries and low cells kill batteries. In Texas in the summer I'd check that battery at least once a month if not more. If recollection serves me correctly those CRV don't have what you could call a real large battery.

Last edited:
How low is low on the electrolite? ? I have trouble with batteries lasting 3 years.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Texas is darn hard on batteries and low cells kill batteries. In Texas in the summer I'd check that battery at least once a month if not more. If recollection serves me correctly those CRV don't have what you could call a real large battery.

Yeah Texas is pretty brutal on batteries. I may just shave some area around the batter hold down to access the cell caps.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How low is low on the electrolite? ? I have trouble with batteries lasting 3 years.

Below the level on some and some you can’t see fluid. The battery holds 12.3 volts.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The CRV wouldn’t start. It’s been 2.5 years on the duralast gold battery. Haven’t checked the individual cells for distilled water. Guess what 4 out of 6 cells are low. Hopefully this works. May just start checking once a year now, lol.

I check the water every year on my Batteries, clean the terminals and posts yearly and apply something to prevent corrosion on the terminals (Fluid film currently). Just changed the battery on the Civic last month. It lasted 10 years and is only the second battery replaced in 20 years. OEM lasted 10 years as well.

Car is parked in a garage now, so the cold starts aren't as extreme, but the first 6 years I owned the car it was never parked in a garage.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Below the level on some and some you can’t see fluid. The battery holds 12.3 volts.
Probably new battery time and check all the basics . Volt drop in the cables, and ground, current draw and alternator out put.

Originally Posted By: JC1

I check the water every year on my Batteries, clean the terminals and posts yearly and apply something to prevent corrosion on the terminals (Fluid film currently). Just changed the battery on the Civic last month. It lasted 10 years and is only the second battery replaced in 20 years. OEM lasted 10 years as well.

Car is parked in a garage now, so the cold starts aren't as extreme, but the first 6 years I owned the car it was never parked in a garage.

You dont live in texas either. heat is brutal and unrelenting..
cold doesnt kill batteries.

Rarely hits 100f here.. batteries usually last 5 years or so unless its an esp. bad one such as the oem subaru 390CCA forester batteries.

If the plates were exposed your battery is now on borrowed time.

Was Honda putting the tiny 51R batteries in CRVs in 2008? If so you may want to upgrade to a group 24F or 35. Probably more important in cold weather climes but a larger battery won't cost much more and will likely have a longer life, even in your area.

Last edited:
Duralast Gold has a 36 month over the counter exchange if your battery tests bad. Just a heads up.

Quote:
Just changed the battery on the Civic last month. It lasted 10 years and is only the second battery replaced in 20 years. OEM lasted 10 years as well.

Here in Texas I've never had a battery last over 36 months. Well, once I did......it croaked @ 37 one month out of replacement warranty.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Was Honda putting the tiny 51R batteries in CRVs in 2008? If so you may want to upgrade to a group 24F or 35. Probably more important in cold weather climes but a larger battery won't cost much more and will likely have a longer life, even in your area.

Good advice, try put in a larger battery. I put a 24F in my '07 Element (same engine as the CRV) 4 years ago. She started up just fine yesterday at about 10 degrees F after being parked on the street for last 3 weeks.

Just take it to AZ for a warranty replacement. DLGs come with 3 yr guarantee. No need to do anything else.

Get an AGM battery for your size. I use the Exide Orbital / Bosch AGM for the 51r size.

I Would hit AZ up for a warranty replacement. TX may be hard on batteries. But losing water is a sign of over charging.

I did fill it back up. Still slow to crank. Took it to auto zone to have it tested and sure enough it’s bad. New replacement under warranty is a good thing. Going to make a habit in checking the cells every six months.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I Would hit AZ up for a warranty replacement. TX may be hard on batteries. But losing water is a sign of over charging.

There wasn’t any boil over. The external was dry.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Duralast Gold has a 36 month over the counter exchange if your battery tests bad. Just a heads up.

Quote:
Just changed the battery on the Civic last month. It lasted 10 years and is only the second battery replaced in 20 years. OEM lasted 10 years as well.

Here in Texas I've never had a battery last over 36 months. Well, once I did......it croaked @ 37 one month out of replacement warranty.

I miss the diehard platinum batteries. Had one of those for 7 years going strong. Sold the truck 1.5 years ago.

If it was low and you added water it will have to be boosted to mix it with the acid before it regains it's final specific gravity. If it was so low the plates were exposed for any length of time that area of the plate is damaged.

I would inspect more frequently and add less water keeping it below the high fill mark where you get the meniscus. https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=2220

Most problems with serviceable batteries is adding too much water and then this weakens the battery and also leads to acid on the cover. Acid on the cover lost from the battery further weakens the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back