Gotta love a dead battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have been living in Texas (15 years) not single battery in any one of my vehicles lasted more than 3 years. This is with Duralast Gold, Ever Start, Delco etc - all the one's I used. Back when I lived on the east coast my batteries lasted 5-7 years. HEAT is the killer not cold...they just fail when cold because the heat already did the damage and weakened it.

I just recently removed a 7 year old (in service) factory Ford Group 96R flooded design battery from my wife's Mustang, still working but with the "eye" showing red instead of green. I just didn't trust how much longer it would go and picked up a Group 48 AGM battery from Pep Boys for $99 with 4 year full replacement warranty to replace it.

The factory Mopar AGM Group 94 (H7) Johnson Controls battery in my truck is still going strong after 5.5 years in service.

Both have battery blanket insulation FWIW, these are the first vehicles we've owned that had that feature. I picked up an aftermarket battery insulation blanket kit for the Group 48 AGM I put in the Mustang. The Mustang battery tray is attached to the firewall, a design that assures the Mustang battery is exposed to plenty of heat.

I'm in Texas, I routinely get 5 years or better out of lead acid types. Keep it maintained and the vehicle in good order and it will do what it does. Short trips and heat will kill your battery. Get an AGM as stated earlier and not worry about maintenance. Get a good insulator around the battery to keep the temps from getting to it, but really its the short trips that cause the battery to die an early death. Get a trickle charger to help with this.

I check new batteries for water level since I've found some cells are not topped up when bought new. The a trickle charge over night to top off. I also get 4-5 years out of a lead acid. Ed

I think Ford has good batteries. I'm coming up on 6 years on factory battery, and if trends hold, it's good for another year or two (although at that age you have to worry about them shaking apart).

I wish I had found out about float chargers earlier. I'd put up to 10 years on it.

Don't know if the float chargers help in warm climates.

I just replaced a Walmart Evermaxx battery in my Alfa Romeo. It lasted 5.5 years but only 1,308 miles even with steady use of a battery tender. Car is garage kept year round in Florida, but that summer heat must kill automotive batteries.

Replaced it with an Exide Classic 34-60 (yes, I know Exide stinks) purchased at Rural King for $50.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The CRV wouldn’t start. It’s been 2.5 years on the duralast gold battery. Haven’t checked the individual cells for distilled water. Guess what 4 out of 6 cells are low. Hopefully this works. May just start checking once a year now, lol.

I got the same battery in my Acura and yes you have to check the water level once a year.

The Duralast Gold in my RSX is 6 years old down here in Florida.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
I'm in Texas, I routinely get 5 years or better out of lead acid types. Keep it maintained and the vehicle in good order and it will do what it does. Short trips and heat will kill your battery. Get an AGM as stated earlier and not worry about maintenance. Get a good insulator around the battery to keep the temps from getting to it, but really its the short trips that cause the battery to die an early death. Get a trickle charger to help with this.

Thank you for the useful tips.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The CRV wouldn’t start. It’s been 2.5 years on the duralast gold battery. Haven’t checked the individual cells for distilled water. Guess what 4 out of 6 cells are low. Hopefully this works. May just start checking once a year now, lol.

I got the same battery in my Acura and yes you have to check the water level once a year.

The Duralast Gold in my RSX is 6 years old down here in Florida.

Will do thanks.

I just went through skipping the 51R (tiny) for a G35 in a neighbor's Honda. The little gas saving battery installed in a 2010 surprised me.
What looked so odd was that there seemed to be no set place (foot print) for the little battery.

I just replaced the AutoCraft Gold in my Wrangler with another one. It had started to crank really slow in sub-freezing temperatures. I did get 4 years and 10 months out of it so I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back