Gotta gas up..

This has got to be one of the silliest posts ever. What most cars have are % of full, same as a Tesla. But with a Tesla, because it can charge at different rates (due to % of full and more specifically, voltage input), it is important to know rate of charging as well. Here is a scenario. Say I am on a trip and I run my battery down and it's time to go home. I live 30 miles away. I go find a charger and plug in. Now I really only need approximately 30 miles worth of power. So in this case, since I just want to get home, it is nice to know, will it take 15 minutes to get the miles worth I need....or 2 hours. That is the purpose of this guage. It's basically gauging time to charge. Now we all know, this is not the most accurate measure. But.....it does give me an idea of when the wife can expect me home. It's nothing more that that.....an approximate measure. Stop with the engineer speak...and the "not accurate speak". It's not applicable. Until we can gas up an EV quickly, this is a needed measure....
Agreed. If we ever get a Tesla or any other EV that does this I’d treat it basically as an inverse of “distance till empty” which we all know is just an educated guess based on current amount of fuel and average fuel economy. I’m sure the software in Tesla’s are looking back at previous energy consumption, current rate of charge, and spitting a number back out.

Am I the only one here that questions the $750 per foot for underground installation versus $70 for overhead? Another angle on this is continuous maintenance on overhead lines. In my residential community the lines are underground and have been that way for 50 years. Next year they will be upgraded. Meanwhile the overhead lines all around us have been subjected to winter storm damage, car accidents, fires, transformer explosions and also routine maintenance like pole replacement and equipment upgrades.

I think underground is more expensive up front but in the long run a better investment.
In my area (hillsborough florida) It seems all the new construction get's underground power lines, even the neighborhoods that are on the lower end of the pricing structure, so I guess it does have some cost benefits when you can do it from scratch.

Agreed. If we ever get a Tesla or any other EV that does this I’d treat it basically as an inverse of “distance till empty” which we all know is just an educated guess based on current amount of fuel and average fuel economy. I’m sure the software in Tesla’s are looking back at previous energy consumption, current rate of charge, and spitting a number back out.
not different from the "range till empty" in ICE cars...

In my area (hillsborough florida) It seems all the new construction get's underground power lines, even the neighborhoods that are on the lower end of the pricing structure, so I guess it does have some cost benefits when you can do it from scratch.

Downside is you need to know exactly where they are. Especially if there's water, gas, telephone, cable etc also there. That's a big issue at times.

Everybody gets an electricity bill, so everybody should at least have a rudimentary understanding of kWh consumed and its use as a unit of measure. It's no different than gallons or litres.

I don't see the correlation between the time required to fill up vs charge and the perversion of the units in play. I've put $20 in a tank before to get where I needed to be when I was young and broke, as I assume most people have. Just because an EV doesn't use petrol or diesel and takes longer to charge than it takes to fill a tank doesn't mean we get to disregard the proper units of measure. Average Joe, if presented with both kWh capacity and range is going to very quickly, and easily, figure out that 10kWh doesn't get him as far if he's wailing on it just like was the case with 20 gallons, it's a pretty easy correlation to make and drives behaviour based on consumption.
Here is mine from 25-January-2021

C4BA4522-20A6-4612-AFBC-A0430D570F3A.jpg

DTE is pretty meaningless on gas or electric. It depends on the driving in the future, but estimates on the driving in the past. EV drivers I believe watch % of charge left most of the time. For consumption rate I think miles per kWh is easiest to relate to, like miles per gallon.

That's another big plus, no underground storage tanks full of fuels. There can be 20 charging stations all in a row and nothing but wires and conduit in the ground. Twenty level two's at a full 7000 watts each, and a 120,000 volt line transformered down to them, puts a whopping 140 watts on the main line, very possible to do. Or do you have your oil tank under the garage floor?
That electricity has to be made somewhere. Electric cars just move the emissions to another place.

That electricity has to be made somewhere. Electric cars just move the emissions to another place.
It's not the same to have millions of vehicles independently owned, driving everywhere, as a central, inspected, large electric plant, Then of course a lot of electric is made without emissions, like hydro. Gravity energy is pretty emissions free, like the old water wheels on rivers.
Those drawings of an ev with a cord to a smoke spewing electric plant are just agenda driven, exaggerated to be right.

It's not the same to have millions of vehicles independently owned, driving everywhere, as a central, inspected, large electric plant, Then of course a lot of electric is made without emissions, like hydro. Gravity energy is pretty emissions free, like the old water wheels on rivers.
Those drawings of an ev with a cord to a smoke spewing electric plant are just agenda driven, exaggerated to be right.
As long as people realize that there’s going to need to be a LOT, A WHOLE LOT, of $$$ invested into electricity generation and distribution-and all the cheap & easy ways to do it emit LOTS of CO2! Wind & solar are nice, but need the right conditions, hydro means flooding areas with large dams, nobody wants nuclear in their town (except OVERKILL!). Need to get that cold fusion worked out. Unfortunately, until a solution is found, an EV IS kind of just plugged into a coal or NG power plant, at least around my not sunny, nor very windy area.

Last edited:
Back