Got to drive a 495K Toyota pickup last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed to buy a mattress at one of the big box stores here, but it was raining so using the Silverado wasn't an option. My neighbor told me we could use her dad's Toyota. It was his courier truck. 2001 single cab, 5 speed. Looked pretty good from the outside, as good as a 10 year old truck could. Got in and literally fell out of the cab when I saw the odometer. 495202. It drove rock solid, started up immediately, cold A/C, warm heater, idled smoothly, literally like it would have the day it rolled off the lot. Got to talk with her dad later on that night. 80% were highway miles. Oil changes in the 5k range, always with conventional Pennzoil. He said it didn't smoke and used less than 1 quart over 5k. No major services. Basic preventative maintenance. He did say it puked coolant one time because of a ruptured hose, but he smelled it before the temperature ever registered abnormal. Pretty good testament to Toyota quality.

495K on the original engine with no more than routine servicing is pretty darn good in my book, even if these were highway miles and the vehicle never saw salt.

I'd say that's impressive, I'll bet those sensible OCIs helped. Tell your neighbor nice job!

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Lots of freeway miles. Pretty much any vehicle with proper maintence could achieve those miles.

Perhaps, but Toyota's seem to do it even without proper maintenance...

I agree its impressive but I also agree that most any well made truck could have done this with good maintenance. Thats what?....and average of 50K a year? 80% highway. did not mention any hard work like towing? So really what would wear it out? The fact the A/C works ice cold is more impressive.

I agree its impressive but I also agree that most any well made truck could have done this with good maintenance. Thats what?....and average of 50K a year? 80% highway. did not mention any hard work like towing? So really what would wear it out? The fact the A/C works ice cold is more impressive.

My brother's 2000 Tacoma was the same way even only after 150k. Unfortunately it fell victim to the frame recall and was murdered by the dealership. But he got nearly $15k for it.

I have been in alot of Panther service cars that have had over 450K miles with ice cold a/c t-boot...With good maintenance it can be done...Most of were former patrol cars till 150K miles.

I also agree that it's impressive, but on several levels: the near 500k miles, good engine running condition, low oil use, one owner, and the climate where you are - hot summer shearing and cold winter startups. Regular maintenance helps, but you can't overlook that it's had a life diet of "Penn-sludge" and is still running strong. Based on the many BITOG PYB/QS sludge related comments, the engine should have had a heart attack years ago due to clogged oil ports, excessive startup wear and shearing to a 20wt if he's using deadly 5W-30 - especially at 5k mi OCI's when the mindset was 3k mi OCI's! Congratulations to the owner, he's doing something right. Keep us up-to-date.

Lots of freeway miles. Pretty much any vehicle with proper maintence could achieve those miles.

I love it when people make these kind of remarks... it really shows how much they do not know about cars :)

Good the owner!! Hope to get there with mine, has anyone seen the cost of the new ones, HOLY [censored]!

This engine went 500,000 miles on conventional oil. It still runs strong, and doesn't use oil. How would synthetic oil protect it better?

Originally Posted By: JasonBraswell

I love it when people make these kind of remarks... it really shows how much they do not know about cars :)

I agree. Lots of comments here about how easy it is to do. I wonder how many members here have actually driven their vehicles to almost half a million miles? I for one haven't, and until I do I can't comment on how easy it is to do. LOL I think it was a nice accomplishment!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Perhaps, but Toyota's seem to do it even without proper maintenance...

^^I agree.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
This engine went 500,000 miles on conventional oil. It still runs strong, and doesn't use oil. How would synthetic oil protect it better?

In the case of a low-stress engine, 5K OCI, highway miles and mild climate...you don't need synthetic...

If I was driving those kinds of miles, I would have swithced just to reduce the frequency of changes...I gotta' believe my time is worth something too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back