Got the snowblower out of hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Ace Hardware 21" Yard Machines snow blower out today. I put it away with 93 octane gas and marine stabil in it. Started on second pull and idled with full choke for 30 seconds until I tried to turn the choke off, then it died. Restarted, slowly turned choke off and it purred like a kitten, at full fixed throttle. It kinda smoked for the first minute or so but I think that was from the choke being on and having to ween it off the choke. Not to mention it has been sitting since March with no other winterization steps taken.

I am ready for the harsh winter that everyone keeps fear mongering about.

I'll be doing that soon as well.
I have the toro CCR 2450 5hp rtek 2 cycle for me.

And the significant other was gifted a 179cc McCullough electric start 21" snowblower.. her Dad retired it and went to a plow service.

The toro is much more beefy, but she can run the other snowblower if I'm not around to clear the drive... She could probably run the toro but if she never touches it I know she didnt manage to break it.. add the wrong gas to it.. etc.

I'll be getting mine ready by the end of the Month.
I put it away in good shape so I won't have much to do.

I have an Ariens 24"
My Father bought it new in 1977

Last Summer, I replaced:
* Engine
* Bronze Bushings
* Ball Bearings
* Axle Shaft

Should be good for another 35 years.

I also just waxed the snow shovels.

I just dragged mine out of the garage Friday. It's a 5 HP 24 inch MTD with electric start. My neighbor gave it to me in the spring. She bought it new 4 years ago, used it for the first winter. The let it sit with old gas in it for 3 years. It wouldn't start last year, and she just wanted to get rid of it. I drained the old nasty smelling gas out of it, pulled the bowl and sprayed it with cleaner. I also cleaned out the jet, and made sure the float was loose. I put new gas in it ,and it fired right up. It still looks brand new. I wish more people would give me good stuff like that.,,

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I'll be getting mine ready by the end of the Month.
I put it away in good shape so I won't have much to do.

I have an Ariens 24"
My Father bought it new in 1977

Last Summer, I replaced:
* Engine
* Bronze Bushings
* Ball Bearings
* Axle Shaft

Should be good for another 35 years.

I also just waxed the snow shovels.

You got me beat by a decade! Nice choice

I have a Simplicity 560; 5hp and 60cm wide. Yeah they tried the metric system for a bit in the 80's...I was in jr. high at the time and remember it well. 1985ish manufacture as Simplicity was part of Allis Chalmers at the time and some records got lost during all of the ownership changes.

I rebuilt the auger gears since the previous owner hit something hard and the shear pins didn't budge. Gear, bronze bushings etc. I just re-powered it 2 years ago with a 6.5hp HF engine (Greyhound, not Predator) and the thing is a beast. Last year I replaced the rubber drive as the old one was glazed and rock-hard.

It's nice that parts are still available at my local shop.

Does silicone spray work good as a non-stick for snow blowers and plastic shovels? FYI my one-stage has a nylon/plastic impeller. Thanks

I need to get the old dear out of the garage and check her out.
I know I need to repair one of the tires and probably rebuild the carb.
I failed to do this last fall and suffered through last winter as a result.

You slurped a booger through the main jet. No worries now.

Anytime I have any sort of carb problem from sitting I override the governor to make the engine scream, sometimes (often) the extra vacuum solves stuff.

I'll be pulling out my 25 year old Yamaha, but not for another month or so. I use spray silicone all over that mochine

I fixed my 1971 Ariens up over the summer. The carb needed a good cleaning, which solved the issue of it dying when it was tilted back. The main jet was half clogged and the fuel line had a pinhole leak.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You slurped a booger through the main jet. No worries now.

Anytime I have any sort of carb problem from sitting I override the governor to make the engine scream, sometimes (often) the extra vacuum solves stuff.

That's a good way to put a nice window in the side of the block.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back