Got the Oil Changed at the Quick Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states, today, my dad had the oil/filter change on the ’92 Previa at the local Toyota quick lube. The prior fill was 5 quarts ExxonMobil Clean 5000 10w30 and 1 quart Quaker State 10w30 w/FRAM Tough Guard filter for 5900 miles.

Now, the van is running bulk Pennzoil 10w30 SM/GF-4 with a new OE Toyota filter.

As for the overall experience, he was in and out in 35 minutes, and this included a run through the automatic car wash
shocked.gif
, and lubing the door hinges. No overfill, everything looks good from what I can see. Even the paint looks fine after the car wash. And as far as I know, they did not try to sell any “additional” services. The “30k major service” was done @ 45k miles (61k on the van currently), so all fluids/filters still look fine.

Some of you are wondering why I didn’t do the service myself. Recently, the dealership gave out free oil/filter changes to participants of a test drive event, hence the free oil change we had done today.

The moral of the story is that not all quick lubes are bad. Most are fine. There are only a very “select” few which have issues.

I like my quick lube (ie the Subaru dealer). Free wireless internet I use to work while I wait and free decent coffee all for $23.95 for OEM Subaru filter and Chevron oil.

Every QL I have been to, eventually disappointed me. One data point is not enough for me to reverse my decision. Between cheap or right, I will choose the latter.

I've only been to dealership quick lubes (Toyota, Saturn, and GM), and they've all gotten me out in 30 minutes. I just wish that I knew about the automatic car wash before hand.

None of them have stripped any bolts, overtightened anything, or over/underfilled.

The only time we use dealership quick lubes, is when they're free, which was the case this time.

They had a promotion involving a free oil change coupon w/new car test drive.

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
Every QL I have been to, eventually disappointed me. One data point is not enough for me to reverse my decision. Between cheap or right, I will choose the latter.

I choose cheap and right, even at $10 for a 5 qt. jug of Pennzoil, it still is $12-$13 to do it myself. Not going to risk the threads in my oil pan for that kind of change even if it is free.

Maita Toyota in Sacramento.

Have also used Florin Rd. Toyota with good results (and much better pricing than Maita) for the major service.

Maita Toyota overfilled the manual tranny on my old Celica. This happened years back, but it still ****** me off. After a 60k service, I drove the car home, but was curious about the notchy gear shifts. I dropped the plug to check the level and about a quart of that stinky stuff came out making a mess. And to think I paid for that service.

Quick lube at my favorite Ford dealer is great. MC 5w-20 and a MC filter plus all the dounuts and coffee I can hold!

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
What's wrong with Pennzoil?
confused.gif

It has been the cause of sludging on many, many, many engines in the past - because of the highly parafinnic-wax based oils coming out of Pennsylvania. Avoid at any cost!

Yeah, what's wrong with Pennzoil? My company-owned POS work van has been 41,xxx miles on bulk Pennzoil from Jiffy Lube (I know, I know...they require me to take it there) and it runs like a champ...

*EDIT* "Pennzoil causes sludge" is an urban myth that refuses to die. Shame on you for believing it...

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:
I'm sorry to hear about your loss
frown.gif

Yeah, what's wrong with Pennzoil? My company-owned POS work van has been 41,xxx miles on bulk Pennzoil from Jiffy Lube (I know, I know...they require me to take it there) and it runs like a champ...

41,000 miles? That's nothing. It was really a big problem on older engine designs, but as they say, once bitten, twice shy.

Dude, that's back in the old days. Get over it. I've seen many fleet vehicles running Pennzoil 5w20/5w30 changed @ 5k intervals w/150-200k on the clock and they all look clean through the oil filler cap.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Dude, that's back in the old days. Get over it. I've seen many fleet vehicles running Pennzoil 5w20/5w30 changed @ 5k intervals w/150-200k on the clock and they all look clean through the oil filler cap.

You are only 16! You haven't been around long enough to know the truth.
frown.gif

Yeah, but I've stuck my head into quite a few fleet vehicles with such mileage...

What has happened in the 60s (or whenever) is really irrelevant. Heck, if I wanted to maintain the same mentality about Pennzoil, I should stay away from Japanese vehicles as well, given their troubles when they were first avaliable.

Besides, you aren't much older, are you?
wink.gif

The Critic might be "only" 16, but I'm 50 and I've certainly been around long enough to know that the Pennzoil sludging myth is just that...you can find examples of EVERY oil "causing" sludge in motors that are in poor mechanical condition, or that have been mistreated. It is not limited to Pennzoil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back