Got the car winterized today

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO, MMO in fuel system or in crankcase, not in coolant system. My 260+k miles 18 years old LS400 coolant system has no rust with cheap Prestone and Peak all-makes flush every 3-4 years. I replaced some heater hoses few years ago and upper radiator hose last year, all other parts are original.

Originally Posted By: morris
i read about a guy that used mmo in his coolant, to reduce rust. he used 5 oz in coolant system. what think?

Even read on one forum where someone uses MMO in their automatic transmission fluid!!!!!!!!! Don't recall how much.

Winterize??? What is that? My poor subie is so neglected. I start using the winter windshield fluid and that's it. I really should do the things you mentioned but I can hardly find the time.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Originally Posted By: morris
i read about a guy that used mmo in his coolant, to reduce rust. he used 5 oz in coolant system. what think?

Even read on one forum where someone uses MMO in their automatic transmission fluid!!!!!!!!! Don't recall how much.
It is recommended for that as well. read on their site. I put 4 oz in my old Merc GM

I recently clayed/waxed my car, just did the oil change yesterday with 0W20 and have to buy some winter washer fluid. Windows is all Rain-X'd and have new OEM wiper blades coming. Plan to put rubber/plastic protectant on the door seals and such as well. Have my winter tires ready to go on the moment they forcast any significant snowfall.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
What's this oil undercoating a few of you are talking about? School me, please!
install your drain plug finger tight and go do some spirited driving at high RPM's, that should do ya!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I'd like to know how many here drive their car at 20 below or worse. Not me. I dont have a garage. I'm not going out in that weather! Brrrr! Vacation day!

If I used that philosphy here, I couldn't go to work for 75% of the winter, and hence end up out of a job. Fact of life here, and many other northern parts of North America. And interestingly, 0W-30 isn't as readily available as it should be here.

Phase I winterizing is done for me: winter tires on, snow ice scraper still in the vehicle from last winter, -30F washer fluid in to replace the summer stuff. Phase II will be when it gets colder: replace washer fuild with the -40 de-icing stuff, dangle the block heater plug out of the hood, and chains in trunk if doing a winter road trip.

Everything else, including the 5W-30 synthetic, is kept up year round anyway.

i assume im one of the only who mentioned oil under coating.

its a total experiment on my part but i researched it online first.

but what i did is got a sprayer and some of my used motor oil and sprayed my vehicle all over under the car where salty water and ice will collect. i avoided things like exhaust systems and rubber like bushing and things. i did this over a pile of autumn leaves i raked up, then piled up the oily leaves and used them in the wood burner. This should technically create a barrier on the rough and rusty surfaces of my jeep and protect them from rusting more. something thats hard to do with paint without hours of prep work. i might re spray it mid winter on my next oil change as a touch up. so far everything i have read is that it works great but is bad to the environment so it very debated. just try to be responsible by not using too much oil and doing on a surface so that it wont soak into the ground and contaminate anything. i dont recommend it yet, but i did it as an experiment and hope to keep my jeep preserved this winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrRPM

i assume im one of the only who mentioned oil under coating.

its a total experiment on my part but i researched it online first.

but what i did is got a sprayer and some of my used motor oil and sprayed my vehicle all over under the car where salty water and ice will collect. i avoided things like exhaust systems and rubber like bushing and things. i did this over a pile of autumn leaves i raked up, then piled up the oily leaves and used them in the wood burner. This should technically create a barrier on the rough and rusty surfaces of my jeep and protect them from rusting more. something thats hard to do with paint without hours of prep work. i might re spray it mid winter on my next oil change as a touch up. so far everything i have read is that it works great but is bad to the environment so it very debated. just try to be responsible by not using too much oil and doing on a surface so that it wont soak into the ground and contaminate anything. i dont recommend it yet, but i did it as an experiment and hope to keep my jeep preserved this winter.

I do this on my Chevy pickup with a product called Selig Linebacker.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Artem
Should have winterized with some 0w30 oil.

I'd like to know how many here drive their car at 20 below or worse. Not me. I dont have a garage. I'm not going out in that weather! Brrrr! Vacation day!

I do - yearly!

Went to Lake of the Woods (just north of here) and drove my truck 12 miles out in the lake, drilled holes in the lake & went Ice Fishing at -39 Degrees!
banana2.gif

Whitefish Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back