Got the car winterized today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend I changed the oil with Mobil 1 5w-30 and an M1 EP filter. Today, I winterized the exterior and detailed the interior.

1) New Rain-X latitude wiper blades
2) Wax Job
3) Rain-X treatment on all exterior glass
4) Eagle One wheel protectant
5) Ice scraper, heavy blanket, ect in the trunk.
6) Filled the washer fluid resevoir with Rain-X washer fluid.

Living in Divide Colorado at 9200 feet, the weather here is getting chilly fast. Wednsday we are supposed to get 3-7 inches of snow with a low of 7 degree's that night. Today is beautiful, so now is the time to get it done.
thumbsup2.gif

I used Meguiar's cleaner wax, been using it for awhile, works great.

As far as the oil goes, I wanted to get M1 0w-30, but when Autozone was running the oil/filter combo, 5w-30 is all they had, so that's what I bought.

Nuthin' wrong with 5w-30, cold weather performance will be fine.

I've got 50% tread on my Yokohama Envigor's, they'll do fine in the snow. I'm not spending $400 on a set of tires that might be beneficial maybe 4 or 5 times a year, we only get 4 or 5 really bad snowstorms every year. Plus, the legendary Subie AWD performs fine on all seasons.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Should have winterized with some 0w30 oil.

I'd like to know how many here drive their car at 20 below or worse. Not me. I dont have a garage. I'm not going out in that weather! Brrrr! Vacation day!

Nice! I've almost completed the winterizing for our cars, too. Fresh oil changes on both cars to take us to the spring, undercoated (it's stil oily even though it's not wet-looking, so it should work fine) both cars, waxed, and ice scrapers in the house next to the front door.

In a month the winter tires will go on.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I'd like to know how many here drive their car at 20 below or worse. Not me. I dont have a garage. I'm not going out in that weather! Brrrr! Vacation day!

I do - yearly!

Went to Lake of the Woods (just north of here) and drove my truck 12 miles out in the lake, drilled holes in the lake & went Ice Fishing at -39 Degrees!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

You must be a mail man!!...JK

i have been doing mine too, but im waiting as long as possible for the oil. (going from 5w-40 to 0w-40)

i oil under-coated
waxed paint
rain-x xtreme cleaned then an extensive rain-x job (that i will keep going strong all winter) the windshield
rain-x -30 degree fluid
going to do both my diffs and t-case fluids

winter tires and chains.....its a jeep, ill be fine! =P
i always keep blankets, warmers, and recovery gear all year.

hmmm what else?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrRPM

hmmm what else?

How about some non-perishable food in case ya get stranded out in the middle of no-where.

One thing I always do is use a silicone lube on my weather strippings especially around the drivers side window, incase I need to put it down in the winter. Always works like a charm.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Originally Posted By: MrRPM

hmmm what else?

How about some non-perishable food in case ya get stranded out in the middle of no-where.

Haha i always keep food in the jeep
first aid
fire starters
flashlights
water
fire extinguisher
ect....

i even have a hatchet in there lol

I like the silicone lube idea, thanks.

Looks like New York and New England will get some snow this weekend already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back