got some GC going to try it, Orlando, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to autozone the other day found the GC,checked for the "made in Germany" on the back and bought 4 quarts, not sure how much this oil usually costs but I paid $5.19 a QT. Was telling my neighbor some of the things I read about GC from here and how it's supposed to be green, I opened one QT and sure enough it's green. Now to see if it's better than the Mobil 1 I normally use, I've read alot of people say how when they switched to GC their engines ran quieter so I'll see if that applies to mine as well.

Great luck getting the Green. You won't be disappointed. Always carry a quart with you in case you run into the Royal Purple guy or some other lubricant sideshow with a bearing tester.

I just put in GC green in my '99 Honda and I love it. It runs a lot (and I mean a lot) more smoothly and quietly. The piston slap that I experience when the engine is cold has also been quieted considerably (although it hasn't completely gone away). There's no more green around here, so I have one more change left and then it's "gold" time. BTW, there is no more GC gold in the Dekalb or Rochelle Illinois Autozones. Ha. Also, many Autozones do price matching, so bring in an add with Syntec on sale and they will probably give you that price.

repaired the last oil leak I had in the car ( oil leaking thru center of distributor, got a new OEM distributor) and couldn't wait to change the oil and try the GC I bought. Thought I had "green" but after checking the date code (M052166) I guess it's the gold, ( Looking at the oil in the bottle it Looked green), anyway the first 2 days using the GC the engine sounded a lot quieter compared to the mobil 1 10W30 I was using, today however the engine is tapping like crazy at idle, I checked the oil level and it is full, any ideas? Is this just one engine that doen't like the GC? thanks

If the tapping is really bad, I would either change the oil out and/or take it to a mechanic.
People can be only of limited help through the internet.

At least that way, you'll know if oil is the culprit.

What car do you drive?

before, I went out to the store, when I first started the car it was quiet, after about 10 minutes when at idle the tapping was back, was thinking that when I first started the car the RPM's were up slightly and it wasn't making noise but when the idle dropped to normal is when I hear the noise.

I did hear slight noise when using the Mobil 1 10W30 but not like this.

Car is a 90 nissan sentra 166K on it.

What makes you think it isn't the filter?

Not to sound like a GC groupie but I would say it's more likely that the sound you are hearing is because of a restrictive flowing filter. It "sounds" like you're getting some oil starvation at idle.

I would switch the filter (if you can) before dumping the oil. Try going back to the OEM.

it may be the filter I don't know, tried to get to the oil filter study page but I guess he changed it and his opinions of the filters are no longer on the site, don't remember what was said about the napa gold filter.

Napa filters are pretty good overall. Not sure if it's better than OEM Nissan...

Yeah, it would be cheaper to replace the filter than to replace the oil. But it might be a PITA depending on how its located/oriented. Make sure to buy some make-up oil cause you're gonna lose some oil if you replace the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by ahardb0dy:
Went to autozone the other day found the GC,checked for the "made in Germany" on the back and bought 4 quarts, not sure how much this oil usually costs but I paid $5.19 a QT. Was telling my neighbor some of the things I read about GC from here and how it's supposed to be green, I opened one QT and sure enough it's green. Now to see if it's better than the Mobil 1 I normally use, I've read alot of people say how when they switched to GC their engines ran quieter so I'll see if that applies to mine as well.

Where in orlando did you find the green stuff?

Hum, just a guess from a rookie, but could it bee that the thicker GC has lowered the idle RPM enough to get it below spec. and cause a bit of oil pressure loss and hence the clatter? I'd check the idle RPM to see if it might be low.

To me it seem counter-logical that the thicker GC would increase clatter it the valve train with 166K on the clock unless something else were changing.

I would doubt the filter restriction would be an issue as much as other factors given you are using quality filters.

Well, so it seems to this rookie.

Maybe someone with more experiance will offer some help.

the funny thing about it is the noise isn't constant at low rpms's, today after work I stopped at the store and was listening to the engine and there was no noise so I don't know.

Went to a friends house for dinner yesterday in Winter Park. Passed the AZ on Aloma and was going to check it out after dinner. By the time we ended dinner that AZ had closed. (Close earlier on Sundays I guess). Don't matter. I've got enough old GC Green and newer GC Gold in my shed.

Bob

01 GoldWing
02 Continental
03 Marauder

The AZ store on Aloma is only about two months old, therefore they have nothing but M06 GC Gold in stock
wink.gif

Yeah, after visiting 21 different Auto Zones in the greater Orlando area over the past 3 weeks, I'm fairly certain there isn't any green left to be found
grin.gif
. I've got enough green stashed to last me quite a while now, but the good news is every single store I visited had M05 or M06 Gold GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back