Got some free Mobil 1 5w30, but not sure if I want to use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father attended a Mobil lubrication seminar where you get a free case of Mobil 1. Well, some people didn't show up and the Mobil reps didnt want to take it back with them. They only had 5w30. So now we have 10 cases of Mobil 1 5w30 SuperSyn.

I will probablly just use it as is in his 1990 Pathfinder with 140k miles and no leaks. It has been on Mobil 1 for awhile.

The other two cars are a 2001 Grand Prix GT and a 1999 Grand Prix GTP. I just don't feel comfortable using such a thin oil in them... especially the GTP. The GT is on Mobil 1 10w30 and has a ton of engine noise. The GTP is on a diet of one gallon of Delvac 1 5w40 and one quart of M1 10w30 and is nice and quiet.

If I added one quart of 15w50 Mobil 1 to the four quarts of M1 5w30... would it make it any thicker or would I just be wasting time?

Thanks guys!

In the past I have mixed one quart of Mobil 1 15W-50 with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30 and this worked very well in my wifes 1997 BMW 318i.

Chances are good that they gave you the latest version of Mobil 1, which we've seen is now a bit thicker, up to 11cst from 10cst!

So you might want to send in a VOA from one of the bottles just to be sure you've got a new batch, and then you're good to go. Mixing in a quart of 15w50 might still be a good idea in the summer though.

Ship it to me.

Or, at least list all the seminars so that everyone else can go
grin.gif

I also have a 99 GTP and I'm using M1 10W30 with no noises at all. So I would go with just M1 10W30 for the winter as I ran mine through the summer and still have it in there...again with no noise at all.

Intelman34,

Don't risk your engine with that stuff.
crushedcar.gif

I will dispose of it for you if you will ship all 10 cases to me.
grin.gif

No need to thank me, I'm just trying to help...

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back