Got Shingles on my Face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under tons of stress lately. Red bumps started showing on my chin & left side.

Two Doctors did not know what it was. Went to another yesterday; he & another said Shingles. Caught it kinda early, about 3 days in.

Got me on antivirals, antibiotics, creams, etc.

Geez. Anyone else get it?

How did it last for you or others you know?

My son had it around the age of 4...Got in an argument with the doctors because they stated that he was too young for shingles, but the rib like rashes and symptoms they could not fob off.

Couple years ago I got Bell's Palsy, another related thing.

I seriously doubt that antivirals are going to do squat to a virus that's sitting dormant in your system waiting for a stressful event.

Antibiotics...it's a virus...

Had it once, years ago.
From the Internet:
Shingles is caused by reactivation of the varicella zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. Only those who have previously had chickenpox and those who have received the varicella vaccine can develop shingles later in life.

As I recall, it follows a nerve cell (they're extremely long cells), erupting along the path of the cell. Mine was on my leg, very uncomfortable. I believe there's a classic case that erupts to the tip of the nose. I forget how long it took to subside, several weeks if I recall correctly. I don't know if there's much you can do about it. My doctor gave me some pain killers, Tylox: Tylenol with a bit of codeine. Interesting experience, they were like "happy pills". After the prescription ran out, I had a sense of wanting more. It gave me a hint of the addictive power of narcotics. Be careful with pain killers. I'd say you just have to ride the singles out. Good luck.

Last edited:
My wife had it and was miserable. IIRC it took about 2 weeks to go away. If you have people in the house that never had chicken pox stay away from them. My doctor said I couldn't get chicken pox from my wife with shingles, B-S! I never had chicken pox and ended up with it right after my wife had shingles. Chicken pox suck when you're an adult!

The wife and I will probably get the vaccine for it this year. We normally don't think too much about it except our ex-sister-in-law came down with the shingles about six months ago and lost all vision in one eye and has about 60% loss in the other.

I've had chicken pox, so makes me susceptible to the shingles. Went and got the shingles shot last fall ... so hopefully that will help keep it from ever coming up, or at least reduce the symptoms if it does come up. The shingles shot is a one time shot. Insurance covered it 100% ... I think it was ~$300 normally.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've had chicken pox, so makes me susceptible to the shingles. Went and got the shingles shot last fall ... so hopefully that will help keep it from ever coming up, or at least reduce the symptoms if it does come up. The shingles shot is a one time shot. Insurance covered it 100% ... I think it was ~$300 normally.

+1

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Wow. Can people get Shingles more than once?

Chicken pox and Shingles caused by same virus. As noted, having chicken pox makes one more susceptible to shingles.

CDC Shingles info.

Been considering getting the Shingles vaccine, perhaps putting it off would be a better description. Reading this thread might make me make the move.

Best of luck to the OP.

When I was in my twenties I got shingles on my forehead.
Very painful and be careful not to get it in eyes.
Back then it just had to run its course.
Left scars.
Good luck..

Try reducing all processed food, carbs and sugar. This will reduce inflammation in your body and help speed recovery IMO. Eat more protein & good fats (coconut & olive oil, butter - any meat fat) Drink only water, fruit juice is sugar.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Two Doctors did not know what it was. Went to another yesterday; he & another said Shingles. Caught it kinda early, about 3 days in.

How old are you and have you had the vaccine? I have had shingles and also caught it early and it was not too bad. The medicine is a Herpes type of medicine.

Any doctor should recognize shingles as you only get it on one side of your body, never both.

I got mine on my belly. There are a lot of nerve endings there.

Originally Posted By: Donald

How old are you and have you had the vaccine? I have had shingles and also caught it early and it was not too bad. The medicine is a Herpes type of medicine.

Any doctor should recognize shingles as you only get it on one side of your body, never both.

I got mine on my belly. There are a lot of nerve endings there.

55 & had Chicken Pox when I was a little kid.

Doc gave me Valtrex, 1 Gram, 3x a day. Some other meds as well.

Wow. Can people get Shingles more than once?

Oh yea. I have a friend that gets it off and on. It appears when he is stressed out or under the weather. The good news is that he can usually anticipate it and this reduces the severity.

Its a bad idea not to get the shot. The shot is about 50% effective but I believe it lessons the severity. In most cases.

My wife's mom got it 15 years ago. When we saw the grief it caused her we immediately got the shot.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Yes I got it about 1.5 years ago. My wife was in the hospital for a broken arm. The day I was supposed to bring her home, the water heater went bad. A little time management issue created a bit of stress. The doc said stress can bring it on.

Our grandma came down with shingles in January. It was on her face as well. Some people have it come out on their abdomen. Shingles happens when your immune system is lowered enough so the virus can produce the shingles symptoms. Lowering of your immune system can be caused by so many factors, stress being the main one. It is not a coincidence shingles comes out after lots of stress, stress lowers the immune system.

Things to improve your immune system, getting enough vitamin C is very important. (vitamin C is involved in 325 metabolic functions), your body needs it on an everyday basis, but especially when dealing with stress or illness. Your adrenal glands are the ones involved and being affected by stress, they need vitamin C to work properly, but, they are also where the largest amount of vitamin C is stored in the body. Stress uses up this store.

Vitamin C is also very important in raising your immune system. White blood cells, which, fight bad bacteria and viruses in the body, are created by your body using vitamin C. Without enough vitamin C, your body cannot created enough white blood cells to effectively fight bacteria and viruses.

Another helpful thing in boosting the immune system in getting enough protein. Your body uses protein to create antibodies to fight viruses and etc..

What's the traditional remedy for cold and flus? Chicken soup. It's because the amino acids help your body fight the germs.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My wife had it and was miserable. IIRC it took about 2 weeks to go away. If you have people in the house that never had chicken pox stay away from them. My doctor said I couldn't get chicken pox from my wife with shingles, B-S! I never had chicken pox and ended up with it right after my wife had shingles. Chicken pox suck when you're an adult!

My brother, sister, and I didn't have chicken pox as kids. When we were in our late teens, our dad came down with shingles. We didn't know you could have chicken pox from it. All three of us came down with chicken pox. Ugh, not fun!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Try reducing all processed food, carbs and sugar. This will reduce inflammation in your body and help speed recovery IMO. Eat more protein & good fats (coconut & olive oil, butter - any meat fat) Drink only water, fruit juice is sugar.

Doesn't this basically work for everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back