Got our car back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After nearly three entire weeks, I got our CR-V back from the body shop. Details about the collision and my satisfaction with USAA and with Enterprise can be found in this thread.

The collision center was Hendrick Chrysler/Jeep's new body shop in Fayetteville. They did a fantastic job with the repair. I did find a few small issues for which I will return on Friday to have them take care of, things like a missing end cap on the chrome door trim strip under the window, a loose cowl seal below the windshield (for which they are simply ordering a new piece), and a very small sand speck in the top of the new fender's paint, which they say will buff out in about 5 minutes' time. They report that they received three "bad fenders", which is why the car took so long. I asked them about it and they said that they were damaged upon arrival. I also noticed that I got a new windshield, what appears to be a very nice Pilkington unit with a blue stripe on top (my old windshield did not have the blue stripe). They said that the old windshield had a small crack in the bottom, which spread during the paint baking process, and that it's not uncommon for the paint oven to find cracks like that after a collision.

So far anyway, I'm very happy with their work. As you can see, the paint matches extremely well (I can't see a difference), all body lines are very straight, the fit and finish is as good or better than before. I enjoy this car more every time I drive it, and it just gets better after being without it for three weeks. I hated for it to have to spend Christmas in a body shop, but it's back home now.

Pictures below of the wreck, of the loaner 2012 Chrysler 300 I had (detailed in this thread), and after picking the car up from the shop.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

Odd, Enterprise gave me the same car when my car was hit back in August (USAA, as well.) It was very nice, but more than I needed, so I gave it back, tried a Camaro drop-top for a week, and then decided on something more economical (and less costly, for her insurance,) a Nissan Sentra.

Looks nice. I live in Fayetteville and have found Hendrick to be a first class place.

I really like that color green, btw. If I were to choose anything other than a Subaru for my next "grownup" vehicle, it would almost certainly be a CR-V.

That is a nice shade of green and it does appear that they did a good job. Glad to hear because you see more bodyshop horror stories and success stories. That 300 was a really nice car for a rental, too!

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
What were your impressions of the 300? A variety of Chrysler's products are notorious for lack-luster reviews, quality, etc....just wondering.

My impressions of the 300 are in the review linked in my original post. In short: it's a very nice car with an excellent engine, but floaty handling and a large feel dampens the driving experience for me. You can tell it's a large car when you drive it. Objectively, the 300 was very nice; subjectively, I'm glad to be back in our Honda.

Originally Posted By: Blazered
Looks nice. I live in Fayetteville and have found Hendrick to be a first class place.

This is my third dealing with Hendrick here in town. We had abysmal service from the Hendrick Chrysler/Jeep dealership itself. We had a 2007 Chrysler minivan which was half of a lemon already, but the service we received from Hendrick Chrysler and Chrysler corporate really ruined the ownership experience there. And on the other hand, we have bought two Toyotas from Hendrick Toyota, and despite being part of the same Hendrick corporation, the Toyota dealership was miles ahead of the Chrysler dealership. The Chrysler dealership employees had that "old school" car dealership style, kind of sleazy, wanted to push you into a car, etc. The Toyota sales folks were much different, at least in my perception. Hendrick's collision center feels more like the Toyota dealer than the Chrysler dealer, so maybe the entire corporation has cleaned itself up a little bit lately. I haven't been to the Chrysler dealer in many years, so I don't know how they are today.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
That is a nice shade of green and it does appear that they did a good job. Glad to hear because you see more bodyshop horror stories and success stories. That 300 was a really nice car for a rental, too!

I love the green. It was either this green or Glacier Blue that we were looking at (the light blue). My in-law's 2011 CR-V is the light blue, and I really like that color as well. But this is our first green car, and we do enjoy the color. It's a very "deep" color, in terms of metal flake. It's not a "color-changing" color like some expensive paint colors are, but it really takes on different shades depending on the light. It's real attractive to us.

Thanks for the positive comments. And yes, it is too bad to hear many horror stories from body shops; I'm pleased to present a good story here.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Odd, Enterprise gave me the same car when my car was hit back in August (USAA, as well.) It was very nice, but more than I needed, so I gave it back, tried a Camaro drop-top for a week, and then decided on something more economical (and less costly, for her insurance,) a Nissan Sentra.

After teasing my wife that she would have to drive a Chevrolet Spark, they gave us a Sonata. (USAA as well)

I was going to get a Sonata also. They offered the 300 for an extra $6/day, so I did that. That night, I had buyer's remorse, and returned the next day to give the 300 back and get the Sonata, or anything else in my price range (at the time, policy liability had not been established by USAA, so the rental was on my policy). But Enterprise just adjusted the cost of the 300 down to $30/day, which was quite nice of them. I've always been impressed with Enterprise shops here.

Looks like they did a great job.

That's weird that so many fenders got damaged in shipment. Poor packaging I guess. I've had a number of body parts come from Taiwan with no damage.

Glad to hear of a good outcome.

What refinishing system did Hendrick use? Most of the shops out here have switched to the water-based systems due to the environmental regulations. One of the shops that I have been considering uses the PPG Nexa Aquabase Plus system that is designed for a high-volume production environment.

looks good. at first i really disliked that "mold" color but it has grown on me.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I am surprised you never tinted your front 2 windows being your in N.C...

I go back and forth on it. I certainly wouldn't *remove* tinting if it was already there, but I guess I don't want the tinting bad enough to pay to have it done. My last two cars had tinting on all windows from the Toyota dealer. It was legal tint, but still dark enough to make it harder to see out the side windows at night. I go back and forth on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back